Boston Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia will be activated from the disabled list Friday, manager Alex Cora told reporters.
Pedroia has yet to make his season debut after undergoing a cartilage restoration procedure on his left knee in October. Cora said the four-time All-Star will start either Friday or Saturday at home against the Atlanta Braves.
Pedroia had one hit in 14 at-bats during a five-game injury rehabilitation stint with Triple-A Pawtucket, playing back-to-back games Wednesday and Thursday. The 34-year-old is a career .300 hitter in 12 major league seasons.
Pedroia hit .293 with seven home runs and 62 RBIs in 105 games last year while playing through the knee injury.
Earlier on Thursday, the Red Sox activated right-hander Hector Velazquez from the disabled list, optioning left-hander Bobby Poyner to Pawtucket in a corresponding move.
Velazquez was placed on the disabled list on May 14 with a lower back strain. He threw a scoreless inning of relief for Pawtucket during an injury rehabilitation appearance on Monday.
Velazquez, 29, is 5-0 with a 2.10 ERA in 10 games (two starts) this season.
Poyner, 25, has a 1.86 ERA in nine appearances across three stints with Boston this year. Poyner rejoined the team on May 15 when fellow reliever Carson Smith was placed on the disabled list.
Cora did not announce what the corresponding move for Pedroia’s activation would be. Former top prospect Blake Swihart, whose agent requested a trade earlier this month after expressing disappointment with playing time, is considered to be on the bubble.
–Field Level Media
Sorry we are not currently accepting comments on this article.