Robert Ovadia: Bizarre details emerge about the photos at the centre of Channel Seven star’s sacking

EXCLUSIVE 

Sacked Channel Seven journalist Robert Ovadia allegedly sent a series of strange doctored images to a young female reporter before he was dumped by the network.

The veteran crime reporter reportedly took images from a producer’s personal Instagram page and turned them into a ‘caricature’ before sharing them with her, according to a former colleague.

‘The pictures weren’t doctored in a sexual manner – they were just strange,’ the source told Daily Mail Australia.

‘They showed [the young woman] in a slinky cocktail dress holding a champagne flute in cartoon and him in a cape with a sword and shield like he was some kind of knight (in) shining armour.’

Ovadia, who has worked at the network for 23 years and was a popular figure among his colleagues, revealed last Friday he had been let go by management.

‘Yes I’ve been sacked and there will be more to say about that in the appropriate forum at the appropriate time,’ he said.

He has since confirmed he longer wishes to work as a journalist.

Ovadia was dismissed after the ABC’s Four Corners program learnt about the image and started inquiring about it.

Sacked Channel Seven journalist Robert Ovadia (above) allegedly sent a series of strange doctored images to a young female reporter before he was dumped by the network

Ovadia reportedly took images from a producer’s personal Instagram page and turned them into a ‘caricature’ before sharing them with her

It is understood the junior staffer, who no longer works at Channel Seven, never officially complained about the image. She left the network in December 2020.

However, the photo found its way to Four Corners, which is investigating newsroom culture in Australia for a coming exposé.

Ovadia was first stood down by the broadcaster on June 7 while the investigation took place.

The network said: ‘Seven is conducting an investigation into allegations of inappropriate behaviour by Robert Ovadia.’

On Saturday, sources told The Australian that Ovadia had also allegedly Googled and then sent an image of a flaccid penis to a male colleague.

The colleague had allegedly requested a ‘dick pic’ while covering a court case featuring a man named Dick – prompting Ovadia to allegedly send the image as a joke. 

There is no suggestion the allegations are proven and Ovadia has previously said they are unfounded and that he would defend himself.

The Sydney-based reporter has engaged the services of high-profile workplace lawyer John Laxon. 

Ovadia also allegedly Googled and sent an image of a flaccid penis to a male colleague after they allegedly requested a 'dick pic' while covering a court case featuring a man named Dick

Ovadia also allegedly Googled and sent an image of a flaccid penis to a male colleague after they allegedly requested a ‘dick pic’ while covering a court case featuring a man named Dick

Meanwhile, the staff bloodbath at the network is set to continue with reports 150 jobs could be axed in the wake of a recent string of high-profile departures.

Anthony De Ceglie, who recently became Channel Seven’s director of news, told staff he has a ‘zero tolerance’ approach to bad behaviour in the newsroom amid the fallout from the Bruce Lehrmann Spotlight scandal. 

The network announced a reshuffle in its news leadership team last Thursday, installing a new news director in Sydney, and new executive producers for Sunrise and Weekend Sunrise.

Rival network Channel Nine has also been battling a scandal after The Australian revealed former news boss Darren Wick left the station following a complaint by a female employee.

Other staff members have since made allegations of bullying and sexual harassment at the network, prompting Nine to conduct its own investigation.

Mr Ovadia declined to comment. 

***
Read more at DailyMail.co.uk