News, Culture & Society

Saudi Arabia apologizes after images of ‘indecent’ female wrestlers were shown during WWE live event

Saudi Arabian officials have apologized after images of scantily clad women appeared on big screens during a world pro-wrestling event.

The Saudi General Sports Authority released a statement on Saturday, a day after a promotional ad featuring female wrestlers aired at the World Wrestling Entertainment Co.’s Greatest Royal Rumble in Jeddah.

They apologized on a Twitter post for ‘the scenes of indecent women that featured in an ad before one of the matches.’

 

On Friday an ad showing female wrestlers aired at the World Wrestling Entertainment Co.’s Greatest Royal Rumble in Jeddah (John Cena is pictured at the event)

Although the WWE usually includes female wrestlers in live matches, women fighters were excluded from the event on Friday at the request of Saudi authorities

Although the WWE usually includes female wrestlers in live matches, women fighters were excluded from the event on Friday at the request of Saudi authorities

They added they ‘would like to confirm [their] total disapproval of this, in the shadow of [our] commitment to eliminate anything that goes against the communities values’. 

According to viewers, the live broadcast was cut for a few moments as the promotional clip played on Saudi state television.

Although the WWE usually includes female wrestlers in live matches, women fighters were excluded from the event on Friday at the request of Saudi authorities. 

Men in the audience cheered as the images of female wrestlers appeared on the big screens between wrestling matches at the King Abdullah Sports City stadium, the Wall Street Journal reported.

Saudi Arabian officials have apologized after images of scantily clad women appeared on big screens during a world pro-wrestling event

They apologized on a Twitter post for 'the scenes of indecent women that featured in an ad before one of the matches'

Saudi Arabian officials have apologized after images of scantily clad women appeared on big screens during a world pro-wrestling event

The video in question promoted WWE Network's upcoming dual-branded PPV 'Best of Both Worlds' show

The video in question promoted WWE Network’s upcoming dual-branded PPV ‘Best of Both Worlds’ show

The video in question promoted WWE Network’s upcoming dual-branded PPV ‘Best of Both Worlds’ show, according to Wrestling News. It showed women in traditional female wrestling attire.

The pay-per-view, government-sanctioned event was the first televised wrestling event where children and women were allowed to attend ringside – but they had to be accompanied by their partners.

It featured WWE star John Cena adn was attended by about 60,000.

The incident came as the ultra-conservative kingdom is gradually loosening restrictions on public entertainment, and shines a light on the difficulties the monarchy will face as it try to open its society without violating cultural and religious norms.

The  government-sanctioned event at the King Abdullah Sports City stadium was the first televised wrestling event where women and children were allowed to attend at ringside

The government-sanctioned event at the King Abdullah Sports City stadium was the first televised wrestling event where women and children were allowed to attend at ringside

Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, 32, has said he plans on modernizing the kingdom

Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, 32, has said he plans on modernizing the kingdom

Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, 32, has said he plans on modernizing the kingdom, where much of the population is under 30 years old.

His reforms so far have included allowing women to drive and to join the military, as well as opening theaters. 

The Saudi government has signed a 10-year deal with WWE to produce events in the kingdom. 

 



Read more at DailyMail.co.uk


Comments are closed.