News, Culture & Society

Scott Cam and The Block contestant left furious as Elle Ferguson and Joel Patfull QUIT the show

It’s been billed as one of the most shocking moments in Australian reality TV history. 

And on Monday night, viewers finally got to see the moment The Block host Scott Cam tell the stunned Blockheads that fellow contestants Elle Ferguson and Joel Patfull decided to quit the show. 

The host, 59, was pulled aside by two executive producers who revealed to him the glamourous influencers decided to leave after just 48 hours of being on-set. 

The Block contestants were left shocked after host Scott Cam revealed Elle Ferguson and Joel Patfull (pictured) had QUIT the show on Monday night

After being told the astonishing news, Scott informed the other contestants about Elle and Joel’s decision to leave. 

‘Last night I gave you all an opportunity – an out – if you thought you couldn’t cut it on the show that you could leave if you wanted to,’ the fuming host began.

‘I didn’t think anyone would drop an opportunity like this, but I’ve just found out that Joel and Elle are on their way to the airport.’

He added: ‘They have left their show. They didn’t say goodbye, they didn’t say thanks for having us. They just left.’

The host, 59, was pulled aside by two executive producers who revealed to him the couple had decided to leave the show

The host, 59, was pulled aside by two executive producers who revealed to him the couple had decided to leave the show

‘Apparently The Block is not on brand for them.’

All the remaining contestants appeared shocked, with Sharon Johal saying: ‘It was a bombshell.’

‘Things played out, we did see in the media things about Joel’s family but we knew that happened before they got onto The Block because he had told us,’ she said.

After being told the shocking news, Scott informed the other contestants about Elle and Joel's decision to quit

After being told the shocking news, Scott informed the other contestants about Elle and Joel’s decision to quit

The pair reportedly left after Joel’s mother broke her coccyx and fractured her wrist during a fall at her home in Adelaide.

Following their exit, Elle, 36, shared a photo to Instagram of the pair’s suitcases at Melbourne Airport. 

‘Wherever you are in the world, whatever you are doing, family always comes first,’ she captioned the image. 

'They have left their show. They didn't say goodbye, they didn't say thanks for having us. They just left,' Scott said to the shocked contestants

‘They have left their show. They didn’t say goodbye, they didn’t say thanks for having us. They just left,’ Scott said to the shocked contestants

But Scott has since disputed their reason for leaving, insisting that they didn’t tell producer about  the AFL star’s sick mother before fleeing the set of the series.

Last week, he told the Kyle and Jackie O show The Block would have been prepared to temporarily shut down production to accommodate the couple’s visit to see Joel’s mother if they had been made aware of the situation. 

‘They didn’t mention the sick mum to us. If they had said to us we need to go see my mum, of course family comes first. We would have flown them back to Adelaide and flown them back,’ the long-time host said. 

The fellow Blockheads looked furious as they were told the news

The fellow Blockheads looked furious as they were told the news

‘They spoke to our producer and said they had decided The Block isn’t on brand for them. It was chaos.’

Scott went on to say Elle also insisted on bringing ‘a lot of designer outfits’ for filming, despite a strict dress code.

‘You have got to wear the hi-vis [workwear] and the boots but [Elle] did have a lot of outfits there ready to go,’ he said. 

The pair reportedly left after Joel's mother broke her coccyx and fractured her wrist during a fall at her home in Adelaide

The pair reportedly left after Joel’s mother broke her coccyx and fractured her wrist during a fall at her home in Adelaide

Scott previously said at the Logie Awards that Elle and Joel giving up so soon into the competition was ‘unAustralian’ and ‘p**s poor’.

He told TV Tonight: ‘We had a 48-hour challenge to choose the house that you get and they scarpered after 48 hours. It’s something that’s never happened before.

‘Forty-five thousand people applied to be on The Block and win life-changing money. These guys got on and they just couldn’t handle the pace after 48 hours,’ he continued. 

But Scott has since disputed their reason for leaving, insisting that they didn't tell producer about the AFL star's sick mother before fleeing the set of the series

But Scott has since disputed their reason for leaving, insisting that they didn’t tell producer about the AFL star’s sick mother before fleeing the set of the series

Last week, he told the Kyle and Jackie O show The Block would have been prepared to temporarily shut down production to accommodate the couple's visit to see Joel's mother if they had been made aware of the situation

Last week, he told the Kyle and Jackie O show The Block would have been prepared to temporarily shut down production to accommodate the couple’s visit to see Joel’s mother if they had been made aware of the situation

‘Which to me is a bit unAustralian! Have a go! It’s p**s poor.’

Scott reportedly told the other contestants Elle and Joel left because the renovation show wasn’t ‘on brand’ for them as Bondi influencers.

He also said they had complained ‘the toilet paper was too scratchy’.

According to reports at the time, they initially tried to stay on the show but left after they ‘couldn’t get a definitive answer’ from producers as to whether Joel could ‘come and go’ from the construction site in Gisborne to visit his ailing mother in Adelaide.

However, The Block’s executive producer Julian Cress has also disputed this, telling the Herald Sun that Joel and Elle ‘never’ made such a request.

Mr Cress added that The Block is always willing to accommodate teams during family emergencies, and once shut down production for an entire week in 2013 when the mother of one of the contestants fell ill.

Scott previously said at the Logie Awards that Elle and Joel giving up so soon into the competition was 'unAustralian' and 'p**s poor'

Scott previously said at the Logie Awards that Elle and Joel giving up so soon into the competition was ‘unAustralian’ and ‘p**s poor’

***
Read more at DailyMail.co.uk