Seafood lover, 60, faces hand amputation after a fishbone pierced his fingers and caused a ‘flesh-eating’ bacterial infection
- The Chinese man developed a severe inflammation after gutting a fish at home
- A bone stung two of his fingers, leading him to be infected by a lethal bacterium
- He was rushed into ICU units after the infection spread from his hand to his arm
- Doctors gave him emergency surgery but warned he could need an amputation
A man in China may need to have his hand amputated after a fishbone poked into it and triggered a severe inflammation, doctors have warned.
The seafood lover, 60, said he was gutting a fish at home without wearing gloves when the bone pricked two of his fingers, leaving no blood or visible injuries.
Medics suspected the patient had contracted a lethal bacterium, which normally lives in warm seawater and is sometimes described as ‘flash-eating’.
Pictures and footage released by Pear Video show that the man’s injured hand was extremely inflamed and full of pus-filled blisters. He was injured while gutting a fish at home in China
A doctor from the Guizhou Provincial People’s Hospital warned the 60-year-old could need an amputation. The patient went to hospital after finding red spots and swelling on his hand
Doctors have given the man emergency treatment, but they feared that he would need to undergo an amputation should his condition keep worsening, reported China’s Guiyang Evening News.
According to the outlet, the man, known by his surname Wang, got wounded without realising on July 17.
Mr Wang said he was processing a 2.9-pound fresh perch, a type of fish popular among Chinese diners, when he felt a jab on the ring finger and little finger on his left hand.
He did not see blood or cuts and, therefore, did not think much of the incident.
But the fish fan discovered several red spots and slight swelling on his hand the next morning. He went for medical attention after his condition became worse in the afternoon.
Mr Wang’s condition developed from slight swelling on his hand (left) to a severe inflammation of the entire arm. His infection had extended to his armpit when he was rushed to the ICU
Mr Wang was admitted into an ordinary ward at a small hospital on the same day. However, his hand became more and more swollen, and the infection had started to spread onto his arm.
Doctors thought Mr Wang could be infected with vibrio vulnificus, a type of bacteria that is lethal to about 33 per cent of people who contract it.
The man was transferred to the emergency intensive care units of the Guizhou Provincial People’s Hospital two days later and was diagnosed with the infection.
Pictures and footage released by Pear Video show that the man’s injured hand was extremely inflamed and full of pus-filled blisters.
A doctor from the People’s Hospital, known by his surname Dong, told reporters that Mr Wang’s infection had extended to his armpit when he was brought in.
Mr Wang was gutting a 2.9-pound fresh perch (file photo) at home when he was wounded
Medics gave the patient antibiotic treatment, which managed to relieve the condition on his limb. But the infection on his hand did not improve, and he had lost feelings of his hand.
Surgeons decided to make a few cuts on his hand to help reduce the pressure the swelling had caused during a medical procedure.
Dr Dong said that the medical team were observing the patient’s condition closely.
He noted Mr Wang could feel his fingers following the emergency surgery, but his condition was not stable.
The medic warned that Mr Wang’s life would be in danger if tissue necrosis continued to develop, and an amputation would be required under the circumstances.