Secrets a locksmith won’t tell you: Industry insider reveals the mistakes EVERYONE makes with their keys – and what to do when cleaners need a copy
- Locksmiths have revealed the mistakes everyone makes so you can avoid them
- They have also shared tips on how to safely give keys to cleaners and contractors
- And shared money-saving secrets other professionals don’t want you to know
Locksmiths have revealed the secrets you need to know to keep your home secure and avoid unnecessary fees when you do lock yourself out of your house or car.
And it’s all in the small changes – from having different locks for the cleaners to acting calm and collected when you make the call to the locksmith early in the morning.
The most common mistakes people make were also highlighted by the professionals in a recent piece by ‘Handyman’.
Locksmiths have revealed the secrets you need to know to keep your home secure and avoid unnecessary fees when you do lock yourself out of your house or car
The locksmiths recommend ‘playing it cool’ when you call a locksmith, with one saying they will increase callout fees if they think you can afford it.
‘If it’s 2am and some guy calls me because he’s locked out of his car at a club, a service call that’s normally $55 is automatically $100. If he’s got money for clubs, he’s got money for me,’ he explained.
People also often call a locksmith without actually needing one – incurring call out fees for no reason.
The most common issue is that people assume they are locked out – without actually checking the door. When the locksmith arrives they try the door and often it opens.
And in cases where your key won’t turn the professionals recommend spraying WD40 into the hole.
The lock could just be slightly jammed and not need a locksmith to come out and replace it.
The locksmiths also said they often get called by the same person more than once in a day – or in a matter of days.
‘Don’t feel bad if you have to call me twice in a short span of time. I once had a guy lock himself out of his house three times in one day,’ one said.
While others said breakups can get messy with both parties calling to get locks changed, which they can do easily by proving they live at the address.
LOCKSMITH REVEALS THE BIGGEST, COSTLY MISTAKES MADE
1. Try WD40 if your key won’t turn
2. If you have a cleaner, ask the locksmith to key the door so that your master key works on the dead bolt and the doorknob, but his or hers works just on the knob. ‘On the day he or she comes, lock only the knob,’ they said.
3. Play it cool when you call a locksmith to avoid surcharge – if you sound like you can afford it they will boost the charge
4. Do not copy signs on keys don’t make a difference – many will still copy them
They also addressed the common security issues people have – like giving their house keys to regular contractors like cleaners.
‘Ask me to key your door so that your master key works on the dead bolt and the doorknob, but his or hers works just on the knob. On the day he or she comes, lock only the knob,’ one recommended.
They also said not to trust the ‘do not copy’ stamp on your keys as many people will copy them – instead go for a high security key that actually can’t be replicated.