‘She said “I’ll pull your mouth off”‘: Woman caught up in violent brawl sparked by petty argument over coronavirus in a mum’s group chat breaks her silence
- Two women were taken to hospital after an argument in a mother’s chat group
- The Sydney women, both in their 30s, were bickering over the coronavirus
- To settle the debate, they decided to meet up but it descended into violence
- One mum claimed the other threatened to ‘pull her mouth off’ and slapped her
A Sydney mum at the centre of a bizarre online spat about the coronavirus claimed another mother slapped her in the face and threatened to ‘pull her mouth off’.
The woman, known only as Maggie, is covered in black bruises after being battered by another irate mother who took offence to her views on the virus.
She claims another mother arrived at her Brookvale home and attacked her while her husband and six-year-old on watched on in horror.
Both women were taken to hospital with injuries after the physical fight which took place on Tuesday at around 8pm.
The row started after Maggie criticised a woman for not going into quarantine after returning from Wuhan a Northern Beaches Facebook group.
Northern Beaches Police shared the story to their Facebook on Thursday, where it quickly went viral (pictured)
Wuhan is the epicentre of the fatal virus, which has killed more than 200 people and infected nine Australians.
One mother took offence to Maggie’s views and arrived outside her home after another person posted Maggie’s address on the group.
Maggie told the Daily Telegraph she thought they were meeting ‘for a chat’ but it soon turned violent.
‘She said “I’ll pull your mouth off”, and I said, “I don’t want to waste my time with you” – then she slapped me,’ she said.
‘We pulled each other’s hair and fell to the floor.’
Maggie claimed she tried to defend herself, but the aggressive woman snapped off her gold necklace, which cut her neck.
Two women have ended up in hospital after an online argument over the coronavirus turned violent (stock image)
The woman, aged 33 and 36, decided to settle their argument about the coronavirus each bringing with friend for support.
‘The argument quickly escalated from verbal to physical; pushing, slapping, hair pulling and finally both on the ground, briefly unconscious, all despite the efforts of bystanders trying to intervene,’ police said.
The two women accompanying them, who were also from the group chat, tried to separate the pair.
The 36-year-old required a scan for a possible brain injury and was treated for a shoulder injury and a cut to her arm.
So far nine Australians have tested positive for the coronavirus, amid fears the virus could soon spread across the country
The younger woman underwent X-rays for a shoulder injury as well as treatment for cuts, bruising and swelling to her arms, upper body and neck.
Police have taken out a Personal Violence Order for one of the women as investigations continue.
Both women have since been released from hospital.
Facebook users were quick to comment, with many suggesting the women weren’t setting a good example for their kids.
‘Bloody hell! How dumb can people be? Let’s hope that both of them knocked some sense into each other because that’s appalling behaviour,’ one person wrote.
‘Now I know why I avoid mother’s groups.’
AUSTRALIANS WITH THE CORONAVIRUS
NEW SOUTH WALES: 4
- Three men aged 43, 53, and 35 who had recently travelled to China are confirmed to have contracted the disease.
- Two flew in from Wuhan while the other arrived in Sydney from Shenzhen, south China.
- They are being treated in isolation at Westmead Hospital and are in stable condition.
- A 21-year-old woman is identified as the fourth person to test positive for the illness in NSW.
- The woman, a student at UNSW, flew into Sydney International Airport on flight MU749 on January 23 and presented to the emergency department 24 hours later after developing flu-like symptoms.
- She is being treated in isolation at Westmead Hospital.
- A Chinese national aged in his 50s becomes the first confirmed case of the coronavirus in Australia.
- The man flew to Melbourne on China Southern flight CZ321 from Wuhan via Guangzhou on January 19.
- He is now in quarantined isolation at Monash Hospital in Clayton in Melbourne’s east.
- A Victorian man in his 60s is diagnosed with the coronavirus.
- He became unwell on January 23 – two days after returning from the Chinese city of Wuhan, the epicentre of the outbreak.
- The man was confirmed as positive on January 29 and was subsequently seen by doctors at the Monash Medical Centre. He was assessed as being well enough to stay at home.
- A woman in her 40s is found to have coronavirus.
- She was visiting from China and mostly spent time with her family.
- She is being treated at Royal Melbourne Hospital.
- Queensland confirms its first case after a 44-year-old Chinese national wass diagnosed with the virus.
- He is being treated at Gold Coast University Hospital.
- A 42-year-old Chinese woman who was travelling in the same Wuhan tour group as the 44-year-old man tests positive. She is in Gold Coast University Hospital in stable condition.
- Two Australians have been confirmed as having the virus in Wuhan itself. Australia has raised the travel alert level to ‘do not travel’ for the city of Wuhan – the epicentre of the outbreak – and for the entire Hubei province.
- Chief Medical Officer Brendan Murphy says unless people have contact with someone who is unwell and has come from that part of China, there is no need for current concern.