- Steve Paffett realised his office was on fire after his phone sent him an alert
- From the intruder alert he was able to watch his desk ablaze from his home
- Mr Paffett said his business could be out of action for six months
This is the shocking moment a laptop spontaneously exploded and burnt down parts of an office in Letchworth, Hertfordshire.
Steve Paffett’s laptop set alight while on charge during the night when he was at home asleep.
The intruder alarm on Mr Paffett’s phone, which is linked to a sensor in his office which was set off by the fire, woke him and he quickly opened his CCTV app.
To his horror he realised his desk was ablaze and in a panic threw on some clothes and headed to the office and called emergency services on the way.
Before the fire engines arrived Mr Paffett attempted to douse the well-established fire with two extinguishers.
Mr Paffett said his business could be out of action for six months after a fire ripped through the building.
This is the shocking moment a laptop spontaneously exploded and burnt down parts of an office in Letchworth, Hertfordshire
Of the damage, he told The Comet: ‘The ground floor is ruined, all the stock is written off – luckily none of it caught fire, but it’s just covered in smoke – the whole building is filthy and reeks.
‘The fire and ambulance crews were amazing and could not have done more under the circumstances.
‘I’ve already been given a small insurance payment – just enough to continue to trade – but it’s not quite the same thing as being able to get on with your day.’
Steve Paffett’s laptop set alight while on charge during the night when he was at home asleep
Mr Paffett now wants to warn others about the dangers of leaving LiPo batteries on charge for a substantial amount of time.
He said not nearly enough of us are aware of the potential bombs we have in our homes by leaving our gadgets on charge.
Steve bought his HP Envy laptop in 2014, and had never had an issue with the charger. He only decided to leave it on charge when he unplugged it and it turned off immediately.
HP have been contacted for comment.