The gruesome crash traumatised fairground veteran Brendan (pictured) so badly he has now quit after a lifetime on the rides
A shattered carnival worker has quit his job of 20 years after witnessing the horrific rollercoaster crash that left a woman fighting for her life in a coma.
The shocking crash at September’s Melbourne Royal Show left fairground veteran Brendan Mogler so badly shaken he has quit the carnival business after a lifetime of working on rides.
Mr Mogler was manning the Rebel Coaster rollercoaster ride when it slammed into Shylah Rodden at 70km/h as she tried to retrieve her phone from underneath the tracks.
Ms Rodden, 26, suffered life-changing brain damage and serious injuries to her pelvis, arms, legs and back after she was thrown 9m into the air by the impact.
Shylah Rodden, 26, suffered life-changing brain damage and serious injuries to her pelvis, arms, legs and back after she was thrown 9m into the air by the impact
It’s understood Shylah Rodden was hit by the Rebel Coaster carriage, which was travelling 70km/h, while trying to retrieve her phone from underneath the tracks, as apparently caught on video (pictured, centre)
She woke up from her medically-induced coma last week but her family revealed she is still in a serious condition and may never be able to talk again.
Ms Rodden’s family told Daily Mail Australia the chances of Ms Rodden having a normal life again is slim to impossible.
Australians have since rallied around her with more than $20,000 donated to a Gofundme appeal to help pay for her medical bills.
Mr Mogler says those who witnessed the accident – and have had to deal with its devastating aftermath – have had their lives severely impacted by it.
‘What about the emotional damage (done) to all of us staff that were working on the roller coaster that day?’ the distressed father posted on Facebook on Monday.
‘After working on rides and coasters for the past 20 years, I will never work another ride again.’
Online trolls launched a savage attack on Shylah Rodden after she was woken from a medically-induced coma two months after she was struck by a rollercoaster
Royal Melbourne Hospital has now moved Ms Rodden from intensive care to a general ward after waking her from the coma, and says her condition has stabilised.
But while the hospital has reclassified Shylah’s status, her devastated family told Daily Mail Australia they are still seriously concerned about her situation.
‘She had suffered a severe traumatic brain injury, so if that’s what people think is stable they are wrong,’ Shylah’s younger sister Caisha Rodden said.
‘Just because she’s awake doesn’t mean she’s stable.’
On the day she was struck, Ms Rodden had been working at a friend’s stall at the show when the pair decided to go on a few rides during their break.
She is believed to have dropped her phone while on the rollercoaster. Investigators believe she walked under the tracks of the high-speed ride to retrieve the device.
A shocking video clip of the incident appears to show Ms Rodden in the path of the rollercoaster carriage moment before it slams into her.
Online trolls pounced on the update on her condition and unleashed fresh torrents of hate on her after first savaging her when the tragic accident happened.
The shocking comments cannot be published for legal reasons.
Mr Rodden (pictured) has been involved in three separate traffic accidents, in 2018, 2019 and 2021
Shylah Rodden (pictured) is in a stable condition after she was struck by a rollercoaster and suffered catastrophic injuries at the Royal Melbourne Show on September 25
Others came to her defence and lashed the trolls for attacking Ms Rodden who now faces life-changing injuries.
‘All you people with your negative and unnecessary assumptions and comments need help,’ said one.
‘Not one person cares about her family and friends reading them. Seriously I’m sure you wouldn’t like it if it was someone you knew.
‘I hope karma gets every one one of you…’
Another slammed: ‘We all get it – it was stupid for her to retrieve her phone while the ride was still going!
‘Has been said a thousand times on every post about this story…But geez, does anyone have any compassion?
‘She had a momentary lack of judgment and made a mistake that has changed her and her family’s life forever. Extremely hard situation to be in.
‘We all make mistakes. The lack of empathy from people blows my mind.’
WorkSafe is investigating the circumstances behind the tragedy with the assistance of detectives from the Yarra Crime Investigation Unit.
The investigation revealed there were no technical issues with the rollercoaster. The ride which struck her was reopened just days after the incident.
A Melbourne Royal Show spokeswoman claimed ‘the safety and well-being of our visitors to the show continues to be our number one priority’ (pictured, the Royal Melbourne Show)
Royal Melbourne Show said at the time: ‘The safety and well-being of our visitors to the show continues to be our number one priority.
‘Strict safety protocols are upheld in line with Victorian WorkSafe regulations.
‘All rides on site have undergone stringent compliance inspections and have passed all the required safety documentation.’
Show management declined to comment on whether new safety procedures had been adopted in the wake of the accident.
Shylah’s father told Daily Mail Australia in October that his daughter had suffered life-changing injuries.