News, Culture & Society

Simon Cowell passes on returning to American Idol

Simon Cowell’s not going to be involved with ABC’s reboot of American Idol.

The 57-year-old, speaking with Extra on Thursday, said that he passed on the opportunity to star on the talent program he was a huge part for more than eight years.

‘I was asked to do it, and the answer is, “No,”‘ the British media mogul told the show’s correspondent (and his ex) Terri Seymour. ‘I have no interest.

Thanks but no thanks: Simon Cowell, pictured earlier this month filming Extra in Hollywood, told the show he’s passed on being involved with ABC’s American Idol reboot

Simon said that he preferred to let things be, enjoying the success he shared alongside Randy Jackson, Ryan Seacrest and Paula Abdul when the show debuted to huge ratings on Fox in 2002, making an overnight star of its first victor, Kelly Clarkson.

‘My memories are when we first started,’ he said. ‘It was a different time with Randy, Ryan and Paula. You can’t recreate that.’

The father-of-one took a ‘You can’t go home again’ mentality toward the franchise, as he was not apart of the show’s final six seasons, which saw a revolving door of musical megastars including Mariah Carey, Steven Tyler and Jennifer Lopez attempting to fill the void he left.

Comfortable: The British mogul dropped the big TV news to his ex, Extra's Terri Seymour

Comfortable: The British mogul dropped the big TV news to his ex, Extra’s Terri Seymour

Leading the charge: (L-R) Howie Mandel, Mel B, Heidi Klum and Simon Cowell, seen here in March, are preparing for America's Got Talent's 12th season 

Leading the charge: (L-R) Howie Mandel, Mel B, Heidi Klum and Simon Cowell, seen here in March, are preparing for America’s Got Talent’s 12th season 

‘Last time I watched, it was not the same show, just the same name. I left for a reason and I never regretted that.’

The London native remains a mainstay on America’s Got Talent, leading the charge as the show racked up its highest-rated season since 2011. Cowell replaced radio shock jock Howard Stern on NBC’s summer program after the 2015 season.

The gang's all here! Original cast members Randy Jackson, Paula Abdul, Cowell and Ryan Seacrest were present for the show's finale last April in Hollywood 

The gang’s all here! Original cast members Randy Jackson, Paula Abdul, Cowell and Ryan Seacrest were present for the show’s finale last April in Hollywood 

Organic chemistry: Cowell said part of the reason he didn't want to return was that he wanted to keep his memories of the original show intact 

Organic chemistry: Cowell said part of the reason he didn’t want to return was that he wanted to keep his memories of the original show intact 

They go way back: Seacrest and Cowell, seen here in 2003 in NYC, remain atop the media mountain with their multiple endeavors 

They go way back: Seacrest and Cowell, seen here in 2003 in NYC, remain atop the media mountain with their multiple endeavors 

The show noted that at least one original member of the crew – Seacrest – continues to be in talks with ABC about reprising his hosting role with the returning program, which he stayed with for the duration of its run from 2002 thru last year.

Seacrest, who’s since landed alongside Kelly Ripa on the network’s Live with Kelly and Ryan, was noncommittal in speaking with Extra about a potential stint on the reboot.

‘I would love to do it, but I got this job right now,’ he said. 

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk


Comments are closed.