At least six spectators injured by giant LIGHTNING strike while watching the FedEX Cup PGA Tour event in Atlanta – after the vicious storm forced golf stars to shelter
- Six people have been injured by a giant lightning strike while watching the FedEx Cup
- The shocking incident occurred late Saturday afternoon during the Third Round of the golfing championships in Atlanta
- The lightning struck a tree, with debris subsequently hitting four spectators who were sheltering beneath it
- Dramatic images showed at least three of the spectators lying on the ground, as EMT crews rushed to render assistance
- Play has been suspended until Sunday morning
Six people have been injured by a giant lightning strike while watching the FedEx Cup in Atlanta.
Several of the spectators – who were on the green watching the Third Round of the championship event – were seen lying on the ground after the incident occurred late Saturday afternoon at East Lake Golf Club.
Another man was seen strapped to a stretcher as he was rushed to an ambulance by EMT crews.
In a statement released on Saturday evening, the PGA said two lightning strikes hit the green around 4.45 pm. One of those strikes hit a tree, with debris injuring four of the spectators. Two others were also hurt, although it is unclear whether they were directly hit by the other lightning strike.
Four people were struck by lightning while watching the FedEx Cup in Atlanta on Saturday afternoon. One of the men is seen being rushed into an ambulance on a stretcher
Cameras captured the moment one of the giant lightning strikes hit the East Lake Golf Club on Saturday afternoon
The PGA did not provide a specific update as to the conditions of the six spectators who were hurt, however they stated that they do not believe the injuries are life-threatening.
The shocking incident occurred around 30 minutes after golfers were forced off the green in order to seek shelter during the vicious storm, which began shortly after 4pm.
Play has been suspended until Sunday.
Cameramen captured the dramatic scenes on the ground following the lightning strikes
EMT crews and fellow spectators rushed to help those who were hit by debris
One of the spectators is seen being placed into an ambulance before being whisked away to hospital