Walking has widely reported health benefits, including improving sleep, lowering blood pressure and reducing the risk of high cholesterol. It’s a rewarding physical activity you can do just about anywhere at any time, making it the perfect way to maintain your exercise routine under any circumstances.
The right pair of walking shoes can keep you moving along comfortably, with plenty of support and cushioning to keep your feet happy. Look for a pair that fits your foot width and arch shape, and that supports any foot ailments you might have. The best walking shoes have extra cushioning to absorb moderate impact, with a breathable construction and flexible fit. From New Balance athletic shoes to asics sneakers, there are many choices for an avid walker. Check out these eight sneaker picks for adding some miles to your walking routine:
- ASICS Gel-DS Trainer 23: These lightweight, ultra-comfy sneakers give you ample support for longer walks. They also offer extra features to support running or cross training. A mesh upper gives flexibility and breathability.
- New Balance Fresh Foam 1365: New Balance athletic shoes have long been a top pick for avid walkers and runners. The Fresh Foam line is no exception, offering serious cushioning to make every step feel like a breeze. This style features a mesh upper for breathability and a plush midsole for comfort.
- Puma Cell Venom: Tap into some ‘90s streetwear style on your next walk with a fresh pair of puma sneakers. The updated version of these shoes offers superior comfort without losing stylish flourishes like the suede and leather overlays on the upper.
- Propet Peak: If your walking route involves hiking trails or other challenging terrain, consider a shoe with some outdoor-ready features. The Propet Peak’s waterproof construction keeps the elements at bay during your walk, while the high-traction sole offers extra grounding on slippery mountain trails.
- New Balance 928: The shoes are made for walking, with special motion-control technology that keeps your feet stable and cozy. A padded tongue and collar add comfort, and extra cushioning makes these a good choice for logging long miles.
- Ryka Sky Walk: A cushioned, memory foam insole makes walking in the Ryka Sky Walk like walking on a cloud. A rubber traction outsole provides plenty of support for any walking surface, and a partially mesh upper keeps air flowing during lengthy treks.
- Easy Spirit Romy: A classic walking shoe, the Easy Spirit Romy absorbs shocks with its cushioned foam insole. A leather upper and mesh insets offer both durability and breathability. You’ll stay stable with the rubber traction outsole, and on trend with the classic lines and fresh colors of this style.
- New Balance 577: If durability is what you’re looking for, look no further than the New Balance 577. These walking shoes pack on the miles with an extra-cushioned midsole and sturdy leather upper. If you walk at a moderate pace, these shoes could be the right fit for you.
When you’re ready to head out on a long walk, pull on a pair of New Balance athletic shoes or other popular sneakers from a reliable online vendor.