Spring breakers have been partying in Miami and still hanging out on South Beach despite curfews curbing large gatherings due to coronavirus.
Sections of South Beach were still bustling with holidaymakers on Tuesday despite the pandemic and advice from public health officials to limit gatherings to fewer than 10 people.
Over the weekend, Florida officials implemented new restrictions in the area to try and halt the spread of the virus. So far there have been 192 known cases of the infection and six deaths in the state.
In South Beach – the most popular part of Miami Beach where thousands flock to spend spring break – an 11pm curfew was introduced and crowds were limited to no more than 250 people.
On Saturday Miami Beach City Manager, Jimmy Morales, enacted emergency measures to curb spring breakers from crowding in South Beach with the help of police and civilian ambassadors.
But spring breakers yesterday were partying by the hundreds on some beaches, while police have been sweeping others, ordering people away through loud speakers.
Revelers hit the sand on Saint Patrick’s Day in Miami even though the mayor had said spring break was ‘cancelled’
Spring breakers were partying by the hundreds on some beaches, while police have been sweeping others, ordering people away through loud speakers to stop large gatherings
College students still hit the beaches in Miami yesterday despite emergency measures to curb spring breakers from crowding in South Beach
Spring breakers enjoyed the sun in Miami despite the closure of sections of the famous South Beach – the epicenter of Spring Break partying
Sections of Miami’s iconic South Beach was still bustling amid coronavirus pandemic. Stretches of white sands could be seen busy with holidaymakers despite advice from public health officials to limit gatherings to fewer than 10 people
St. Patrick Day parties and parades, that would have been held on Tuesday, were cancelled around the world.
Miami Beach Mayor Dan Gelber, said on Monday that due to the outbreak and orders issued by the White House, that spring break was ‘canceled’ and declared a state of emergency.
He said: ‘Our measures are intended to send a clear message that spring break is canceled and that everyone, even young people home from school, need to embrace these health and safety concerns.’
The federal government on Monday urged Americans not to gather in groups of 10 or more and asked older people to stay home, as the number of infections in the US climbed to more than 6,400, with at least 114 deaths.
But hard rules have been left up to the states, creating what New York Govenor Andrew Cuomo derided as a ‘hodgepodge’.
In South Beach bars, cafes, restaurants and beaches stayed open on Saturday, leading to federal health officials to greet sunbathers with a floating sign warning them to keep their distance from people with symptoms.
Miami Beach Mayor Dan Gelber, said on Monday that due to the virus outbreak that spring break was ‘canceled’ and declared a state of emergency, but on Tuesday revelers were seen flouting public health officials’ advice
Sunseekers still went for a dip in the sea in Miami despite some sections of the famous beaches being closed and a curfew in place after 11pm
Two spring breakers enjoying the sun in Miami on Tuesday. In South Beach bars, cafes, restaurants and beaches stayed open on Saturday but will be closed from midnight on Tuesday
From 5th Street to 15th Street the famous South Beach was closed on Tuesday, pushing sunseekers to less popular areas that remained open
Spring breakers flouted advice advising avoiding gatherings of more than 10 people to hit the beaches in Miami on Tuesday
As many cities across the US went into lockdown, sunseekers in Miaimi still flocked to the beach to catch some rays
An area of South Beach popular with college spring breakers was closed on Tuesday, pushing sunseekers to other areas
By early Saturday evening, Miami Beach police began deterring large groups from Lummus Park and clearing the most popular stretches of South Beach, which because of school closings and extended spring breaks had seen more visitors soaking up the rays.
Yesterday Florida Governor Ron DeSantis ordered the shutdown of all bars in the state for at least 30 days and limited beach gatherings to no more than 10 people.
DeSantis also restricted restaurant occupancy to 50 per cent but left further beach restrictions up to local authorities, and Miami Beach officials enacted a beach closures along a section of the most popular beaches and an 11pm curfew.
From 5th Street to 15th Street the famous South Beach was closed on Tuesday, pushing sunseekers to less popular areas that remained open.
An empty length of the beach could be seen on Tuesday, as cops closed off the stretch at Ocean Drive, which is usually the epicenter of spring break partying.
Young people enjoying the Miami sun during spring break on Tuesday
A groups taking a selfie on a section of South Beach, Miami, that remained open on Tuesday. Officials had shut the most popular areas to try and prevent large gatherings
Despite warnings to avoid gatherings of more than 10 people, many still visited the golden sands of Miami on Tuesday
Miami’s iconic South Beach was still bustling amid the coronavirus pandemic on Tuesday as many bars and cafes remained open, however these will be closed from midnight
People eating at a restaurant along Ocean Drive in Miami on Tuesday. Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis ordered all Florida restaurants statewide to reduce their capacity by 50 per cent
Other tourist hotspots, such as the Santa Monica Pier (pictured) were closed in response to the coronovirus outbreak
But young people continued to flout the new guidelines which advised against partying in large groups or gathering in bars and public places.
Public areas including playgrounds and portions of the beach boardwalk were closed off as part of the orders.
From midnight on Tuesday all bars and restaurants will be closed in Miami Beach following an order from the city’s mayor.
The famous Duck Tour bus was still operating along Ocean Drive, albeit with markedly fewer passengers as of yesterday.
Elsewhere in America, large swathes of major cities looked like ghost towns as sweeping lockdowns were imposed.
Officials in six San Francisco Bay Area counties issued a shelter-in-place mandate on Monday affecting nearly 7 million people, ordering residents to stay at home and go outside only for food, medicine and outings that are absolutely essential.
The order says residents must stay inside and venture out only for necessities for three weeks.
It affects the counties of San Francisco, Marin, Santa Clara, San Mateo, Contra Costa and Alameda, which includes the cities of Berkeley and Oakland.