News, Culture & Society

Strictly’s Janette Manrara says she’s missing Aljaz Skorjanec as they’re apart after 10 years

Their celebrity partners were finally announced during a dazzling first episode of Strictly Come Dancing on Saturday.

And Janette Manrara has revealed that she and husband Aljaz Skorjanec, 30, are having to live apart for the first time in 10 years in order to compete in the show.

The Color Toner Experts

In order to abide by coronavirus rules, the dancers are forming bubbles with their pairings – meaning Janette, 36, is with HRVY while Aljaz will be with Clara Amfo.

All for the show: Janette Manrara has revealed that she and husband Aljaz Skorjanec are having to live apart for the first time in 10 years in order to compete in the show

During the show host Claudia Winkleman asked Janette about how it has been getting used to not living with her husband, who she married in 2017.

She said: ‘You have both lived together for 10 years, but to form your bubbles you are both living alone. How are you finding it?’

Janette quickly replied: ‘I love it! No, I miss him terribly, but we’re doing what’s best for the show. But I’m so excited to start with HRVY.’

And it seems as if YouTuber HRVY was also pleased about his pairing, telling Claudia during the interview: ‘She’s incredible. So talented and beautiful, I’m so happy.’

Joker: When asked how she was coping with being away from her husband, Janette joked she 'loves it', before adding she misses Aljaz 'terribly' (Aljaz is pictured with Clara Amfo)

Joker: When asked how she was coping with being away from her husband, Janette joked she ‘loves it’, before adding she misses Aljaz ‘terribly’ (Aljaz is pictured with Clara Amfo)

The 21-year-old, real name Harvey Leigh Cantwell, was surprised at Wembley Arena by Janette, 36, for the big reveal of them being partnered on the show.

He was overjoyed to be with Janette, calling their partnership a ‘fiery mess’, he said: ‘We have the same excitement, we’re going to bounce off each other really well.’

Back in the studio, Hrvy, who tested positive for coronavirus earlier this month, was asked about how he was feeling since recovering and testing negative.

He said: ‘I can’t believe I made it this far, I tested positive, isolated with my family, I’m here.’ 

Support: Janette has been paired with HRVY, 21, on this year's series of Strictly Come Dancing

Support: Janette has been paired with HRVY, 21, on this year’s series of Strictly Come Dancing

Elsewhere, viewers got to see Aljaz and his partner Clara Amfo on screen together for the first time.  

Clara, 36, who was surprised by her pro Aljaz, 30, during her radio duties at the BBC studios. She said: ‘I am so pleased, his energy, I immediately connected with it.’

While Aljaz added: ‘She seems like such a lovely, cool, girl. I can’t wait to get started!’

Talking on the show after their pairing was aired, Clara said: ‘Aljaz was definitely in my top three, the number one, it’s all about you!’   

It's back! The Strictly Come Dancing 2020 pairings were revealed on Saturday night during the highly-anticipated pre-recorded launch show for the 18th series

It’s back! The Strictly Come Dancing 2020 pairings were revealed on Saturday night during the highly-anticipated pre-recorded launch show for the 18th series

The launch consisted of the celebrities discovering their professional partners for the first time, though in a post-COVID change, they were instead revealed via video link. 

This will allow for couples to form their own individual ‘bubbles’ for training and performances, meaning the stars will have maintain distance from each other during filming. 

After all the pairings were announced, the celebrities and their professional partners had to take to the floor to perform with contestant Jamie teased after he injured himself during the group routine on the 2019 launch show.  

Staying safe: Hosts Claudia Winkleman and Tess Daly also outlined the shows strict social distancing measures as they opened the series

Staying safe: Hosts Claudia Winkleman and Tess Daly also outlined the shows strict social distancing measures as they opened the series

Making history: Celebrities including Nicola Adams (pictured with pro partner Katya Jones), Jamie Laing and Maisie Smith discovered which professional dancer would put them through their paces in the upcoming weeks

Making history: Celebrities including Nicola Adams (pictured with pro partner Katya Jones), Jamie Laing and Maisie Smith discovered which professional dancer would put them through their paces in the upcoming weeks 

This year has already seen the pros pre-record all of their group performances while isolating together in a hotel, and the couples have formed separate bubbles to train and perform together.  

The series will still feature a live audience, however fans will sit in small groups and will only be allowed to attend if from the same household or bubble.

Elsewhere during the show, the pros dazzled with a sensational opening routine with judges Shirley Ballas, Motsi Mabuse and Craig Revel-Horwood were seated on separate podiums to ensure the programme adheres to COVID-19 safety guidelines. 

Fourth judge Bruno Tonioli was unable to travel back to the UK from his home in LA for the filming due to the Covid-19 crisis and his work commitments on Dancing With The Stars. 

He has spent the last 15 years jetting between the US and the UK for the two shows but coronavirus travel restrictions have scuppered his schedule.

Also during the show, presenters Tess Daly and Claudia Winkleman reunited with the pair ensuring they stood at least two metres apart throughout the episode.

How is Strictly 2020 going ahead during the COVID-19 pandemic?

Strictly Come Dancing has introduced an array of strict measures to ensure the new series can go ahead during the COVID-19 crisis.

Celebrity contestants and their professional partners are tested regularly, with cast and crew told to isolate should they contract the virus.

Bosses have already confirmed any celebrity that tests positive once the series begins will be dropped from the show, with reports saying there are celebrities on stand-by.

The professional dancers have already pre-recorded their group performances after isolating together in a hotel.

It’s also been claimed that celebrities and pros will be axed from the show if they are caught kissing during filming.

Strictly 2020 has also seen the series run shortened to just nine weeks, with 12 celebrities taking part instead of the usual 15.

The show’s annual trip to Blackpool has been cancelled, along with this year’s Halloween and Christmas specials.

Only three judges – Craig Revel Horwood, Shirley Ballas and Motsi Mabuse – will be in the studio with separate rostrums, after Bruno Tonioli was unable to appear due to travel concerns. 

Veteran judge Bruno has said he will be ‘involved remotely’ and hopes to return full-time towards the end of the series as he is filming the US version of the show in Los Angeles. 

With limited studio crew, big sets may not be built – so producers will use augmented reality, which adds computer-generated elements.

To ensure the contestants can work closely with their partners, they will ‘bubble up’ to train, along with being tested regularly. 

Strictly will still feature a live audience, however fans will sit in groups on separate tables, and will only attend if from the same household or bubble.

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk


Comments are closed.