Lijha Stewart, American director of artistry and makeup for acclaimed beauty brand Make Up For Ever, previously revealed the five biggest makeup mistakes women make.
1. Choosing the wrong bronzer shade: Lijha says it’s essential to pick the right bronzer shade for your undertone.
If you are applying the wrong bronzer colour over your face it can create a vast difference in tone between the chest and face.
To avoid this, Ms Stewart suggests that those with yellow or olive undertones look for bronzers with a golden undertone.
Those with red, pink, or peach undertones should choose a bronzer with terracotta undertones.
2. Going heavy handed on the brows:
Thick and luscious brows are still extremely popular but Ms Stewart said it can be hard for people to achieve this look who don’t naturally have a full brow.
This results in people being too heavy handed when they apply brow product leaving a block-shaped brow that is often too dark.
Lijha said everyone should measure their brows to their own face shape, using the pencil as a ruler.
She also recommends people use a contour brow product that helps to define the arch and the head of the brow.
3. Picking the wrong foundation: Poorly matched foundation can completely ruin a makeup look.
Lijha recommends using two different shades – one a little bit darker and one a little bit lighter than your natural skin tone.
The lighter colour should be applied to the centre of the face and the dark one should be used on the outer parts before blending it down the neck for a seamless finish.
4. Applying eyeliner in one solid sweep: Lijha said you should always apply eyeliner in three easy steps instead of one sweep.
It all starts with your position, which should be as close to the mirror as possible and then you should start in the middle of your eyelid to ensure your eyeliner doesn’t become too thick for the size of your eye.
The wing should be created by starting on the ouside of the eye and tracing it back to the center.
Finally, you should connect the end of the wing to the centre point, making sure all lines are connected smoothly.
5. Applying contour and highlight incorrectly: Although there are numerous tutorials online, highlighting and contouring is one major trend people still struggle with.
Lijha explained the best way to achieve a natural looking highlight is by avoiding placing straight lines on the face and moving the brush in a subtle upwards motion.
‘Patchy contouring can make the face look dirty and give a messy end result. Ensure that you set your foundation with powder before applying a darker powder contour,’ she added.