News, Culture & Society

Supermarket is evacuated and two McDonald’s workers are rushed to hospital

Supermarket is evacuated and two McDonald’s workers are rushed to hospital with colleagues seen ‘coughing and choking’ after a gas leak

  • Shoppers at an Asda in Hulme, Manchester were evacuated at around 12.30pm 
  • McDonald’s employee rushed to hospital while others checked by paramedics
  • Fire service confirmed gas had leaked from ‘cylinders’ in non-public area of shop

Two McDonald’s employees were rushed to hospital after a gas leak which left their colleagues ‘coughing and choking’ in a supermarket. 

Shoppers at an Asda in Hulme, Manchester were evacuated from the store at around 12.30pm this afternoon.

Witnesses said they saw several McDonald’s employees ‘coughing and choking’ as fire and ambulance crews arrived at the supermarket.

Shoppers at an Asda in Hulme, Manchester were evacuated from the store after a gas leak at around 12.30pm this afternoon

One employee was taken to hospital immediately while others were checked over by paramedics at the scene.

Several customers, including Hulme councillor Lee-Ann Igbon, took to social media to post pictures of the evacuation.

Rhyzz said: ‘Seconds after we paid, everyone got booted out of Asda Hulme [because] of a fire or something.’

A spokesperson for McDonald’s said: ‘We can confirm that our Hulme restaurant was evacuated at around 12.30pm due to a suspected gas leak.

Several shoppers, including Hulme councillor Lee-Ann Igbon, took to social media to post pictures of the evacuation

Several shoppers, including Hulme councillor Lee-Ann Igbon, took to social media to post pictures of the evacuation

‘The emergency services were called to investigate and two people were advised to attend hospital as a precautionary measure. 

‘The emergency services have confirmed that the restaurant can reopen but it currently remains close whilst technicians look to reset the alarms.’ 

A spokesman for Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service confirmed three engines attended the incident and dealt with ‘a gas leak from some cylinders in a non-public area of the store’.

Firefighters removed the cylinders and the supermarket reopened at around 1.45pm.

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk


Comments are closed.