News, Culture & Society

Suspicious package is found on a bus in Barcelona

  • A government official confirmed the initial report of a ‘suspicious package’
  • Elia Danon, 21, posted a video to Twitter showing police rushing tourists from the busy Placa de Catalunya in the centre of the city 
  • However, a Catalonian police chief later confirmed incident was a false alarm

There were reports a suspicious had been found on a bus in Barcelona four days after terror attacks that left 15 dead.

A Catalonia government official confirmed the initial report to a news agency.

Elia Danon, 21, posted a video from the scene to Twitter showing police rushing tourists from the busy Placa de Catalunya in the centre of the city.

There were reports a suspicious had been found on a bus in Barcelona four days after terror attacks that left 15 dead. Pictured, an armed officer in the city after the attack last week

The area was cordoned off with police tape as concerned bystanders looked on.

Ms Danon said: ‘They evacuated the metro, railways and shops at Pl. Catalunya.

‘Suspicious package on a bus. Zone evacuated for security.’

However, a Catalonian police chief later confirmed the incident was a false alarm.

The incident comes at a time of heightened tensions across Europe after attacks in Spain and Finland in recent days.  

Earlier today, a regional official in Spain said that the death toll in the attacks last week in Barcelona and a coastal town south of the city had risen to 15. Pictured, emergency services tending to the injured last week 

Earlier today, a regional official in Spain said that the death toll in the attacks last week in Barcelona and a coastal town south of the city had risen to 15. Pictured, emergency services tending to the injured last week 

Earlier today, a regional official in Spain said that the death toll in the attacks last week in Barcelona and a coastal town south of the city had risen to 15.

Catalan interior minister Joaquim Forn gave the updated figure in a news conference. He said that the new victim is a man found stabbed in a car. 

The car was believed to be used by one of the attackers to flee the scene.

The previous death toll was 14 – 13 people killed in a van attack on Barcelona’s Las Ramblas promenade on Thursday, and one woman killed hours later in Cambrils. 

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk