Sydney man to be charged with making online terror threats after being arrested by officers
A Sydney man will be charged with a number of terrorism offences after he allegedly encouraged teenagers to commit terrorist acts through social media.
The man was arrested on Wednesday morning by members of the NSW Joint Counter Terrorism Team.
Police alleged the man had been targeting 17 and 18-years-olds across social media and encouraging them to pledge to ISIS.
Investigators have not identified any specific or impending threats to the community but hold concern for his increasing radicalisation.
They told reporters the man had allegedly talked about using knives and blunts instruments in alleged attacks.
The man, who lives with his family in Riverwood allegedly has connections to other people who have been arrested for terrorist acts, police said.
More details will be made public at a joint press conference by the NSW Police and the federal police on Wednesday afternoon.
More to come
The Riverwood man was arrested on Wednesday morning by members of the NSW Joint Counter Terrorism Team