Sydney transport: NRL Grand Final chaos as major delays hit train lines with urgent track works carried out
Footy fans are fuming after major train line maintenance delayed thousands of people making their way to the NRL Grand Final.
Dismayed passengers on their way to Accor Stadium around 5pm on Sunday were told they should allow an extra 30 minutes to reach Olympic Park station due to ‘urgent track repairs’ at Flemington.
The track work meant trains usually run from Central to the stadium’s closest station would instead be diverted to Rhodes.
At 6.30pm, Transport NSW informed commuters the extra travel time had shrunk to 15 minutes.
A weekend of sporting events impacted travellers across Sydney on Sunday, with more than 20 train lines impacted by changes or delays.
Three major events will run over the holiday weekend, including the NRL and NRLW Grand Finals, and the Koori Knockout near Tuggerah.
All of the Harbour City’s numbered train lines, T1-T9, will be impacted by the duel Grand Finals, beginning in the afternoon on Sunday.
Express trains will run regularly from Central Station in Surry Hills to Olympic Park, stopping at Redfern, Strathfield then Olympic Park.
Trains also run regularly to Lidcombe in the city’s west where commuters can head to Platform Zero for a direct train to Olympic Park station.
After the match, trains will run to Central until late, with limited stop services to run between Western Line stations to Olympic Park until late.
Pre-purchased tickets to the NRL and NRLW Grand Finals at Accor Stadium in Olympic Park include travel on trains, buses, and trams.
Fans will also head to the NSW Aboriginal Rugby League Koori Knockout at the Central Coast Regional Sporting and Recreation Complex.
Transport for NSW advised fans on Sunday the nearest station to the complex was in Tuggerah on the Central Coast and Newcastle Lines.
While not attracting the same crowds, the Transport Heritage Expo will also impact services with trains running regularly to Central.
Sydney train services impacted on NRL Grand Final day
- T1 Berowra to City via Gordon
- T1 City to Berowra via Gordon
- T1 City to Emu Plains or Richmond
- T1 Emu Plains or Richmond to City
- T2 City to Parramatta or Leppington
- T2 Parramatta or Leppington to City
- T3 City to Liverpool or Lidcombe via Bankstown
- T3 Liverpool or Lidcombe to City via Bankstown
- T4 Bondi Junction to Waterfall or Cronulla
- T4 Waterfall or Cronulla to Bondi Junction
- T5 Leppington to Richmond
- T5 Richmond to Leppington
- T7 Lidcombe to Olympic Park
- T7 Olympic Park to Lidcombe
- T8 City to Macarthur via Airport or Sydenham
- T8 Macarthur to City via Airport or Sydenham
- T9 Hornsby to North Shore via City
- T9 North Shore to Hornsby via City
- BMT Bathurst to Central
- BMT Central to Bathurst
- CCN Central to Newcastle via Strathfield or Gordon
- CCN Newcastle to Central via Strathfield or Gordon
- HUNTER Newcastle to Scone or Dungog
- HUNTER Scone or Dungog to Newcastle
- SCO Bomaderry or Port Kembla to Central and Bondi Junction
- SCO Bondi Junction and Central to Bomaderry or Port Kembla