- Huge pothole in Concord West, Sydney, damaged at least 10 cars last Monday
- Hole caused broken axes, shredded tyres, and dented wheels in minutes
- Drivers don’t know where to send insurance claims as no one took responsibility
- Council said it didn’t know, Sydney Water blames construction company
- A week later motorists are still in limbo and thousands of dollars out of pocket
Angry motorists are thousands of dollars out of pocket after smashing into a huge pothole on a Sydney road.
At least 10 cars suffered broken axes, shredded tyres, and dented wheels from the huge hole in Nullawarra Avenue in Concord West last Monday.
But more than a week later the drivers of cars including two BMWs, a Mercedes, and a two-week-old Mini Cooper have no idea where to send insurance claims.
Angry motorists are thousands of dollars out of pocket after smashing into this huge pothole on a Sydney road
The motorists are held in limbo by a squabble between the local council, Sydney water, and a private building contractor over who is a fault.
Renzo Valleri said he called Canada Bay Council about $1,000 worth of damage to his wheel and suspension but was brushed off.
‘It was raining and still dark so it was impossible to see it. All of a sudden I heard this almighty thump and within about 10 minutes there were nine other cars all parked on the side of the road,’ he told the Inner West Courier.
‘When I contacted the council they said they weren’t the ones who dug up the road and they don’t know who it was. We were basically told we didn’t have a claim on it.’
Cecelia Parsons said her new car had $3,000 worth of damage and the drivers exchanged numbers and many were giving up their claims.
The council said it would repair the pothole as part of regular roadworks and try to recover the costs. A temporary fix was now in place.
At least 10 cars suffered broken axes, shredded tyres, and dented wheels from the huge hole in Nullawarra Avenue in Concord West last Monday
‘The road had been excavated without the permission or knowledge of the council, and as such was not restored in accordance with its standards,’ it said.
Sydney Water said it knew about the works but it was the building contractor’s responsibility.
The company said a subcontractor did the works and connected to the water mains under the road with Sydney Water’s help.
It refused to say whether it got approval from the council before starting work.