A landlord ‘vomited on his driveway’ when he discovered the sickening state his property had been left in by a mother-of-four who left behind human excrement and piles of rubbish.
Landlord Shahin Miah has been left with a huge clean-up bill exceeding £2,000 after the woman who had been living in the house for five years with her four children, finally vacated on Sunday.
Mr Miah, 43, said he had been trying and failing to access and check the property in Erdington, Birmingham, for months but after forcing entry, he was so sickened by the sight and deep stench that he says he was sick on the driveway, and has now raised concerns for the welfare of the children who lived there.
He will now have to shell out £2,000 just to clear the property out and thousands more as he replasters, rebuilds, redecorates and refurbishes the home.
It has also transpired the woman had been living in the home without gas.
This is the disgusting state of the house trashed by a ‘tenant from hell’ in Erdington, Birmingham
Landlord Shahin Miah is upset by the condition his property has been left by his tenant after living at the address for five years
Rubbish piled high in rooms, dozens of empty tins and rotten food left in the kitchen – and human waste staining beds and bathrooms
The three-bedroom house, which was rented out at £590 a month, was infested with damp, peeling wallpaper, mould, dirt and stuffed with discarded toys, bin bags and other household rubbish.
Mr Miah, who lives on the same road, said everything was initially fine between himself and his tenant who he described as a ‘smart woman’, before problems began around 12 months ago.
He said: ‘For the last year, she never opened the windows or curtains. She never put the bins out on the right day.I got suspicious when I went to the house to visit and she wouldn’t let me in.
‘She would say she was busy and she was going out. I would ask for a time to return and she never replied.
‘Around four months ago, there was gas works going on in the road and they told all the neighbours that there wouldn’t be gas for a day.
‘They needed access to the house and they never got hold of her. They knocked the next door neighbour who told the gas people to come to me.
‘The gas people told me that there was no gas at the house for a month – how could she survive?
‘I phoned her but she never picked up. Eventually I phoned her and said there was no gas in the house and they needed to go into the house and she said she would let them in and then she didn’t.’
Mr Miah now faces a mammoth task and thousands to transform his house back to its original state
The woman had also been living in the property without gas for around four months
Mr Miah kept demanding entry to the house but at one point his tenant called the police who informed him it was a matter for the courts. Pictured, rubbish overflowing from the bathroom
At the end of August the tenant told Mr Miah she was leaving and she finally left on Sunday – with no forwarding address. He was then met with this mess
Discarded rubbish, food and drink cartons and toys have simply been dropped and strewn across the floor
The sink was filled with putrid water while the walls were covered with dirt, mould and food stains
The three-bedroom house, which was rented out at £590 a month, was infested with damp, peeling wallpaper, mould, dirt and stuffed with discarded toys, bin bags and other household rubbish
He will now have to shell out £2,000 just to clear the property out and countless thousands as he replasters, rebuilds, redecorates and refurbishes the home
Mr Miah kept demanding entry to the house but at one point his tenant called the police who informed him it was a matter for the courts.
At the end of August the tenant told Mr Miah she was leaving and she finally left on Sunday – with no forwarding address.
Mr Miah said: ‘She left me no keys so I had to break in. When I saw the condition of the house I was shocked. There was rubbish everywhere, I could not step anywhere.
‘There was food everywhere. There was no access to the kitchen and bathroom because there was human excrement on the floor. I blocked my nose and vomited on the driveway.’
When the house was first let to the woman, it was fully furnished with beds, coverings and fitted wardrobes.
Mr Miah added: ‘There was just one bed left with human excrement and dirt on it. I feel that if she was human, she wouldn’t have done that.’
He now faces a mammoth task and thousands to transform his house back to its original state.