The Apprentice ‘is forced to scrap trips abroad for business challenges in next series amid the coronavirus crisis’
The Apprentice has reportedly been forced to scrap trips abroad amid the Covid-19 crisis.
According to reports on Thursday, show bosses will be unable to let candidates travel the globe for challenges because of ongoing travel restrictions.
The BBC show usually sees the business people go abroad for various tasks, like setting up a wine and safari tour in South Africa, as part of the competition, but now they are said to have to stick closer to home.
Tough decision: The Apprentice ‘has been forced to scrap trips abroad for business challenges in next series amid the coronavirus crisis’, it was reported on Thursday
A source speaking to The Sun claimed: ‘This is another hurdle the producers have had to jump as Covid-related restrictions are still in place.
‘Although lockdown in Britain is easing, that’s not the case in other countries. It’s a real headache.
‘Some of the show’s most famous moments have seen the candidates thrown in at the deep end to complete tasks in places where they don’t always speak English.’
MailOnline has contacted BBC representatives for further comment.
Pandemic: The show usually sees contestants go abroad for various tasks, like setting up a wine and safari tour in South Africa (pictured) , but travel restrictions make it impossible now
Earlier this month, Lord Alan Sugar confirmed that The Apprentice will not be returning to our TV screens until 2022 due to the ongoing pandemic.
The hit BBC One show was scheduled to return for a 16th series in 2020, but was postponed owing to the global health crisis.
Although it was originally scheduled to return this year, Lord Sugar, 74, who fronts the programme, has stated that the show has been delayed again, and will now be broadcast in early 2022.
The businessman has also spoken of his hopeful plans for the forthcoming series to be filmed ‘later this year’ before its intended air date in the new year.
Issue: A source claimed, ‘Although lockdown in Britain is easing, that’s not the case in other countries. It’s a real headache’ (Lord Alan Sugar pictured with 2019’s winner Carina Lepore)
Speaking to The Sun, he said: ‘I think you’ll see it in the early part of next year, in fact that’s the plan.
‘If things go well, and there’s no outbreaks or third waves, we’re planning to start recording later this year and it should be just after Christmas that they’ll start it again.’
Lord Sugar had previously announced in April 2020 that the upcoming series of the reality competition would at first be delayed until 2021 after being asked about the future of the show by a fan on Twitter.
The entrepreneur clarified that contestants lined up for the 2020 series will ‘be called’ on for whenever the next series will air.
Bad news: Earlier this month, Lord Alan Sugar confirmed The Apprentice will not return to our TV screens until 2022 (Alan pictured with Karren Brady and Claude Littner)