If you frequent certain stores regularly enough, obtaining a store card with perks can be a great way to save money and earn rewards. Many retailers offer a range of options, including rewards programs; store credit cards; Visa-branded store credit cards; and signature status store credit cards that provide even more benefits for loyal customers.
Depending on the store and the type of program or card that you obtain, you may enjoy benefits like:
- discounts on store purchases
- free expedited shipping
- birthday bonuses
- cash-back rewards
- members-only offers and deals
- extra discounts and rewards for obtaining elite shopper status
Target Rewards and Store Cards
In addition to offering Circle, a loyalty rewards app that is available to all, REDcard, the Target rewards card, can help you to save even more when shopping at the popular retailer.
Target REDcard Debit Card
Since this card links and pulls directly from your checking account, good credit is not necessary. You’ll get 5 percent off every time you pay with this card along with the following perks:
- free two-day shipping
- 30-day extended returns
- no annual fee
- can add to the mobile app wallet
Target REDcard Credit Card
You’ll need fair credit to qualify for this store-only credit card, which offers the same perks as the debit version. Additional perks include:
- an extra 5 percent off when paying with the card
- a 10-percent-off coupon on your card anniversary
- exclusive offers and early access to promos
There is a 24.65-percent variable APR with this card.
If you have fair credit, you may qualify for a Gap store credit card. Earn five points for every dollar that you spend; for every 500 points earned, you’ll get a $5 reward. You’ll also enjoy these perks:
- 20 percent off your first purchase
- an extra 10 percent off at Gap stores
- special promos, events and discounts
- bonus point shopping days
- receipt-free returns
- no annual fee
All Gap credit cards have a variable APR of 28.24 percent and a late fee of up to $39.
Gap Visa Card
Unlike the store credit card, this one can be used anywhere that Visa is accepted. Enjoy all of the perks of the store card plus:
- 20 percent bonus points per quarter
- 1 point per every $1 spent anywhere
- 3,000 bonus points for new cardholders with a qualified purchase
Gap Silver Status Cards
When you earn 5,000 points in a calendar year and maintain your account in good standing, you will be upgraded to Gap Silver Status.
With the Gap Silver store credit card, you will enjoy all of the perks of regular store card along with 20 percent bonus points per quarter; the ability to choose your own sale day; and free three-to-five-day shipping.
Gap Silver Visa Credit Card
With fair credit and by obtaining Silver Status, you may qualify for the Gap Silver Visa credit card. You’ll enjoy all of the perks of the above three cards plus a birthday gift as long as you make at least one purchase per year.
The right Amazon Rewards card can provide various benefits:
- Amazon Store Card – If you don’t use Prime, this card may be a good option. Receive a $10 gift card with credit approval, and qualify for special financing options on larger purchases.
- Amazon Rewards Visa – Get 3 percent cashback on Amazon and at Whole Foods; 2 percent back on gas, drugstore purchases, and restaurant purchases; and 1 percent back on all other purchases. You’ll get a $50 gift card with credit approval, and there’s no annual fee.
- Amazon Prime Cards – If you have a Prime membership, the Amazon Prime store card will give you 5 percent back at Amazon, and you’ll get a $60 gift card with credit approval and access to special financing. The Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature card provides 5 percent back at Amazon and Whole Foods; 2 percent back on gas, restaurant and drugstore purchases; and 1 percent back on general purchases. You’ll get a $70 gift card with credit approval.
Old Navy Card
Old Navy offers nearly the same rewards and credit card perks as its sister company, Gap. Its elite status program is known as Navyist, and you can qualify by earning at least 5,000 points in a calendar year. The four options are:
- Old Navy Credit Card
- Old Navy Visa Credit Card
- Navyist Credit Card
- Navyist Visa Credit Card
The same perks apply to each level of card as you get with the Gap credit cards, so refer to that section for more information.
Dangers of Store Credit Cards
Store credit cards can be excellent ways to save even more, but they only make sense if you shop a store often enough to earn a good amount of points.
As you can see above, these cards tend to have prohibitively high APRs, so make sure that you can pay off your balance every month. Limits on these cards also tend to be low, so take care not to max yours out to avoid hurting your credit.
If you are a loyal customer of one of the above retailers, applying for one of its credit cards may make sense for you. However, always proceed with caution when using any type of credit card – and always read the fine print before applying.