News, Culture & Society

The Chandelier Market in India is thriving

The chandelier market in India can actually be dated back to medieval times, when candles were used on a piece of wood resembling a cross, which would then be hoisted up to provide light in the room. Obviously things have moved on significantly as time has evolved and in the 20th century, designs became works of art. Many people would remember the Hindi movies where the large mansion would have a shot of a magnificent chandelier light and in the hit movie Hum Aapke Hain Kaun, the hero Salman Khan actually uses the chandelier to swing around the room.

Throughout decades such as the 1960’s, 70’s and 80’s, the market developed and at the moment, the chandelier market in India is doing well; it is thriving. But there are some differences to how it operated in decades gone past and now it is thriving in a different way. Roughly, about 75 percent of the market is dominated by Chinese manufacturers. That leaves just 25 percent of the market for domestic manufacturers but there are many reasons for this. The main reason is that it is 60 percent cheaper to simply import chandeliers from China instead. The market is reducing for Indian manufacturers but the market demand is increasing so there may be room for Indian manufacturers to increase their percentage. Another aspect which cannot be measured yet but may change the balance of 75 percent of the market dominated by Chinese imports is Coronavirus. It may mean an unexpected opportunity for Indian manufacturers to capture some of the market back, if imports from China are affected in any way but it is too early to tell if this will be the case.

The market has definitely increased a lot. For example, it is not just in the best homes that you will find chandeliers; in middle class households, the demand is increasing and it also comes down to quality. It is not just the biggest houses but the smaller houses where demand is increasing with Indian families buying chandeliers in more modern sizes or quality.

Places such as the Hotel Ramada Plaza in New Delhi are run by Ashok Mittal and he also has the Litolier Group. They import marble and lights from Europe; according to Mittal, these classic designs are definitely increasing in popularity as they make a comeback. But it is not just these more expensive, classic chandeliers which are doing well. Vikram Goyal of Viya Home says that the modern designs which favour metal are doing well too. This has proven to be helpful for places like the Ferozabad glass factories, where many of the glass chandeliers are produced.

Although owners like Mittal import from Europe, there are also domestic chandelier manufacturers who export to places like the US and UK due to the popularity and market demand for Indian chandeliers, mainly in the hospitality industry. To give a perspective on figures, one manufacturer, PC Juneja of Turret Art Metal and Jainsons Electronics (Mumbai) says they export around 1500 chandeliers per consignment. These are destined for restaurants and hotel dining rooms in both the UK and US.

The way that chandeliers are manufactured affects price. Chandeliers which use brass are the most expensive variety to usually buy, however the demand for chandeliers in India continues to rise and this is due to the buyers not just being the wealthiest homes. Because the current market until now has so many imports and with techniques allowing for making smaller chandeliers in both the classic and modern styles, many middle-class homes are also buying them for domestic use.

People are looking for ‘light solutions’ so with the huge choice available, modern chandeliers at a cheaper market price are going up in sales rapidly. The demand is being serviced both from the domestic market and the import market with sales up 40 percent both in commercial and residential premises. By referencing a catalogue or going online, buyers can have custom-made designs, works of art, simple solutions, anything they decide to choose. Price points vary anywhere from Rs 500 to Rs 50 lakh overall. Some of the types of chandeliers now widely available are pendant, cluster, uplight, downlight and it can of course depend on whether or not the chandelier is for commercial or domestic usage.

Estimates for the industry show that the actual domestic chandelier market (manufactured in India) is worth Rs 1000 crore. This is a growth of 35 percent and represents the continuing opportunities that domestic manufacturers have to grow their margin in a highly competitive market. With greater online access, it is much easier to compare and contrast quality, price, style and size to ensure that even domestic buyers can have the chandelier of choice. The chandelier market in India is indeed thriving!

 


Comments are closed.