A spike in coronavirus cases has been recorded in Melbourne suburbs that have not been put back into lockdown, research reveals.
The three council areas are experiencing soaring infection rates as the state continues to battle a second wave of the virus.
According to data from the Victorian Government, there have been 113 COVID-19 cases in Casey, 65 in Whittlesea and 75 in Wyndham.
There are more than 40 suburbs included in these areas sparking fears that thousands could be sent back into lockdown.
Data analyst Paul Vella tracked cumulative COVID-19 cases across Melbourne for 100 days from March 23 to June 30.
Data analyst Paul Vella tracked cumulative COVID-19 cases across Melbourne for 100 days from March 23 to June 30
Mr Vella shared his findings to Twitter on Thursday (pictured). ‘Some postcodes in Brimbank, Hume, Moreland and Moonee Valley are back in lockdown but I would not be surprised if areas of Casey, Whittlesea and Wyndham also go into lockdown,’ he said
Mr Vella shared his findings to Twitter on Thursday, as 36 suburbs across 10 postcodes were put into lockdown for four weeks.
‘I’ve been tracking the number of COVID-19 cases across Melbourne councils for 100 days now,’ he wrote alongside an image of graphs.
‘Some postcodes in Brimbank, Hume, Moreland and Moonee Valley are back in lockdown but I would not be surprised if areas of Casey, Whittlesea and Wyndham also go into lockdown.’
Dr Vella told news.com.au the areas were following similar trends to the 10 postcodes now subject to stay-at-home orders.
‘You can see from the data that Brimbank, Hume and Moreland councils are all showing exponential growth in number of cases recently,’ he said.
‘Moonee Valley, on the other hand, is only just starting to see a surge in cases. I can see the same pattern starting to occur in Casey, Whittlesea, Wyndham and Melton.’
Pictured: An elderly man gets a COVID-19 test at a shopping precinct in the locked down suburb of Dallas on Thursday
A police officer on the Melton Highway near Brimbank inspects the drivers licence of a moped driver on Thursday. Booze bus-style operations began across the Brimbank council area as part of localised restrictions across 10 post codes to slow a second wave outbreak of COVID-19
Victoria recorded 77 new coronavirus cases on Thursday, which brought the state’s total to 2,303, of which 415 are active.
Of the new cases, 13 are linked to outbreaks, 37 were detected through routine testing and 27 are under investigation. None are in hotel quarantine.
Victoria has recorded double-digit case numbers for 16 days, particularly in Melbourne’s northern and western suburbs, prompting localised lockdowns.
Residents of these postcodes will only be able to leave their homes to shop for food and supplies, to receive or provide care, to exercise and to study or work if they can’t do so from home.
This map shows the suburbs which will be subject to stay-at-home orders from Wednesday at 11.59pm after a spike in coronavirus cases
Prof Sutton said a big proportion of the cases were detected in the hot zones, but not exclusively, and warned the continued growth meant more people could die.
‘When you’ve got 70-odd cases every day, there is absolutely an expectation that some of those people will die,’ he said.
‘That’s why it’s incumbent on all of us to be minimising our interactions with others.’
He emphasised that all Victorians should reconsider seeing people in other households, including family and friends.
So far, 20 Victorians have died of the coronavirus. There are now 20 patients in hospital, including four in intensive care.
More than 300,000 residents living across Melbourne’s COVID-19 hotspot postcodes have woken to a wall of booze bus-style police checkpoints surrounding their suburb as they were plunged back into lockdown on Thursday.
Masked officers were seen using light beacons and cones to flag down motorists approaching each checkpoint.
Each motorist is being asked where they are going, where they have come from and the reason for their travel.
A line of masked police officers speak to drivers at border checkpoints in Broadmeadows. VicRoads has said it has experienced a surge in Victorians trying to change their addresses to bypass the road blocks
A report into Victoria’s troubled hotel quarantine program for returning international travellers will be delivered by the end of September.
Justice Jennifer Coate will have a broad scope as she looks into Victoria’s disastrous hotel quarantine program.
Justice Coate, one of the state’s most experienced judicial officers, will lead the inquiry into the coronavirus quarantine arrangements for returning travellers.
Confirmation of the inquiry details comes amid claims of widespread problems with the quarantine program, which is now on hold for a fortnight.
There are allegations of under-trained staff, inadequate personal protective equipment, billing rorts by private security contractors and even claims that some hotel guards slept with guests.
The probe follows the tracing of a big proportion of recent coronavirus cases in Victoria to breaches in hotels hosting returned travellers.
‘It is abundantly clear that what has gone on here is completely unacceptable and we need to know exactly what has happened,’ Premier Daniel Andrews said.
Justice Coate will look into allegations that infection control protocols were breached at the quarantine hotels.
The inquiry will probe decisions and actions by the government, hotel operators and private contractors, as well as the training of staff.
Which 36 suburbs are being locked down again?
3012 – Brooklyn, Kingsville, Maidstone, Tottenham, West Footscray
3021 – Albanvale, Kealba, Kings Park, St Albans
3032 – Ascot Vale, Highpoint City, Maribyrnong, Travancore
3038 – Keilor Downs, Keilor Lodge, Taylors Lakes, Watergardens
3042 – Airport West, Keilor Park, Niddrie
3046 – Glenroy, Hadfield, Oak Park
3047 – Broadmeadows, Dallas, Jacana
3055 – Brunswick South, Brunswick West, Moonee Vale, Moreland West
3060 – Fawkner
3064 – Craigieburn, Donnybrook, Mickelham, Roxburgh Park, Kalkallo