The Open announces it will welcome 32,000 fans EVERY DAY at Royal St George’s with golf Major included in Government’s list of events allowed higher capacity than current Covid restrictions allow
- There was uncertainty over the Open’s crowds after Freedom Day was delayed
- The tournament was cancelled last year and could have been without crowds
- However, the Open will now feature as part of the ‘Events Research Programme’
- Wimbledon and Euro 2020 feature larger crowds than restrictions permit too
The Open will admit up to 32,000 spectators each competition day at this year’s championship, organisers have announced.
There had been uncertainty over the capacity for next month’s event at Royal St George’s in Kent after the UK Government announced earlier this month that existing Covid-19 restrictions would remain in place until July 19.
The tournament, which is returning to the calendar this year after being cancelled in 2020 due to the pandemic, ends on July 18.
There will be 32,000 spectators per day at Royal St George’s for the British Open in July
Shane Lowry is still the defending champion after the 2020 event was cancelled due to Covid
It has now been confirmed the Open will be included in the Government’s ‘Events Research Programme’, which will enable a number of events to take place with higher capacities than present guidance permits.
The Wimbledon championships and matches in the latter stages of Euro 2020 had already been included in the programme.
A statement from the Open organisers the R&A read: ‘We can now confirm that we will be able to welcome up to 32,000 fans on each championship day of the 149th Open at Royal St George’s and that this will include those existing ticketholders and hospitality guests who have already purchased tickets.’
The Open week will begin on July 11 with the tournament itself starting on July 15.
There will be strong crowds behind the Open players amid the Governments trial schemes
R&A chief executive Martin Slumbers, whose organisation has been in discussions with the Government, said: ‘We are pleased to now be able to proceed with our plans for having a significant attendance at this year’s Championship.
‘These fans will play a huge role in creating a very special atmosphere as the world’s best players compete for the Claret Jug and we look forward to welcoming them to Royal St George’s.’
Culture secretary Oliver Dowden said: ‘We have always said we will do everything possible to return fans to our iconic cultural and sporting events as soon, and as safely, as possible – and thanks to the phenomenal success of our vaccine rollout and uptake of the NHS app we’re able to take another step forward through our flagship Events Research Programme.’