News, Culture & Society

The return of the Great British staycation: Holidaymakers can book breaks in hotspots from July 4

Brits will be able to take holidays in beauty spots in places like Devon and Cornwall – as the Prime Minister officially announced staycations from July 4.

Boris Johnson made the announcement in the House of Commons, paving the way for families languishing in lockdown to finally get away from a break.

Hotels were given the green light to throw open their doors as long as they were kept clean and safe. 

The news announced by the Prime Minister paved the way for staycations in seaside towns, such as Bournemouth in Dorset

He also eased restrictions to allow people from one household will be able to stay overnight at another.

And in news sure to delight the camping and caravaning community he said campsites will be allowed to open, provided washing facilities and toilets can be kept sanitary.

Mr Johnson added: “Most leisure facilities and tourist attractions will reopen if they can do so safely including outdoor gyms and playgrounds, cinemas, museums, galleries, themes parks and arcades as well as libraries, social clubs and community centres.”

A statement from the Government spelled out in full that the PM had signalled summer holidays were back on.

Picturesque resorts such as Salcombe in Devon are now open for staycations after the PM's announcement

Picturesque resorts such as Salcombe in Devon are now open for staycations after the PM’s announcement

It said: “He has set out that two households will be able to meet up in any setting with social distancing measures, and that people can now enjoy staycations in England with the reopening of accommodation sites.”

Hotel operators have already revealed how they will reopen after lockdown with mini-bars and buffet breakfasts taken off the menu. 

Some of the biggest chains have announced a raft of changes today as Mr Johnson allowed hotels to reopen.

Boris Johnson announced staycations could now happen in an announcement in the House of Commons

Boris Johnson announced staycations could now happen in an announcement in the House of Commons

Hotel operators had already announced they would stop mini-bars and buffet breakfasts taken off the menu.  

French company Accor, which owns brands including Novotel, Mercure, Ibis and Sofi tel, is aiming to reopen some of its 270 hotels from the start of July. 

The chain will introduce new systems, which will include taking paperwork and telephones out of rooms, The Guardian reports today. 

Meanwhile, Jurys Inn and Leonardo Hotel Groups has today announced a ‘five point plan’ to get its hotels reopened – which includes going cashless and delivering breakfasts to rooms.

And like Hilton Hotels and Resorts group, they have promised to deep clean ‘key-touch areas’ in all rooms after guests have left. 

High-end sites, including London's Savoy Hotel, will reopen at a later date, as will airport hotels, the chain says

High-end sites, including London’s Savoy Hotel, will reopen at a later date, as will airport hotels, the chain says

Check-in times are likely to be staggered, or set later in the afternoon, to allow for deep cleaning of rooms. At the seven-strong collection of The Pig Hotels in south-west England, for example, this has switched from 3 pm to 4 pm.

Valet parking and baggage handling could also be a thing of the past, though luggage may be disinfected on arrival.

Protective screens, distance-marking lines and one-way routes may be implemented in larger properties.

Hotel bars, if they are opened, will likely be table service only, while dining tables will be arranged to satisfy the two-metre rule, and probably be without linen.

Room service is also encouraged with many properties dropping the tray charge. Menu choices are likely to be restricted and delivery will be only to the bedroom door.

The relaxation on July 4 – Independence Day in the US – comes amid growing optimism that the virus, which has claimed more than 42,000 lives in the UK, is finally reducing to manageable proportions. 

Some 2.2million vulnerable people who have been ‘shielding’ for more than three months were yesterday told they could finally leave their homes from July 6.

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk


Comments are closed.