Harry and Meghan head to Scotland as Charles, William and other immediate family go to Queen’s bedside in Balmoral and cancel their WellChild Awards visit tonight
- BREAKING: The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are headed towards Scotland
- Prince Harry and Meghan were due to attend charity awards in London tonight
- Buckingham Palace announced the Queen’s doctors were worried at her health
- All four of the monarch’s children are said to be with her at Balmoral Castle
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have headed to Scotland amid reports of The Queen’s worsening health.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle had been due to attend the Wellchild Awards in London this evening but it is confirmed they have cancelled their appearance.
The prince was expected to make a speech at tonight’s award ceremony, which honours the brave deeds of seriously ill children.
Prince Charles travelled to Balmoral by helicopter and is now understood to be with The Queen, along with his siblings Princess Anne, Prince Andrew and Prince Edward.
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are also said to travelling to the Royal highlands estate.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex leave City Hall in Dusseldorf yesterday
Queen Elizabeth II with the Duke and Duchess of Sussex at the Queen’s Young Leaders Awards Ceremony in 2018
Any statement about the Queen’s health is deemed to be rare and suggests the situation is very serious. It is also significant that all of her immediate family are with her or en route.
Worried Britons have already gathered iutsude the gates of Balmoral to pray for Her Majesty and pay their respects.
Minutes before the statement, the new Prime Minister Liz Truss was handed a note in the Commons informing her of the development as she was revealing her plans to cap energy bills for the next two years.
The Prime Minister, who was sworn in by The Queen at Balmoral on Tuesday, tweeted: ‘The whole country will be deeply concerned by the news from Buckingham Palace this lunchtime.
‘My thoughts – and the thoughts of people across our United Kingdom – are with Her Majesty The Queen and her family at this time.’
Labour leader Keir Starmer posted: ‘Along with the rest of the country, I am deeply worried by the news from Buckingham Palace this afternoon. My thoughts are with Her Majesty The Queen and her family at this time, and I join everyone across the United Kingdom in hoping for her recovery.’
The Queen waits in the Drawing Room before receiving Liz Truss for an audience at Balmoral, Scotland on Tuesday. Today she is under the supervision of doctors amid concerns about her health
A statement about the Queen’s health is exceptionally rare and raises major concerns
A sign noting the cancellation of today’s guard changing ceremony at Buckingham Palace
People gather outside Balmoral Castle following the statement from Buckingham Palace
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex were not thought to be visiting the Queen during their European tour this month.
Yesterday they were in Dusseldorf, Germany, to mark a year before the next Invictus Games, where they were greeted by rapturous crowds of royalist enthusiasts, while today’s schedule was intended to be focused on the Wellchild Awards.
The duke has served as a patron of Wellchild since 2007.
The couple’s tour was the subject of mounting speculation about whether they would see other members of the Royal Family, in particular Harry’s father Prince Charles and brother Prince William.
A royal insider said the two brothers had seen each other just twice in 12 months.
Representatives of Harry and Meghan have been approached by MailOnline for comment, as has the Wellchild Awards.