News, Culture & Society

Thirteen more coronavirus cases linked to meat processing factory in Melbourne

Thirteen more coronavirus cases are linked to meat processing factory in Melbourne that stayed open for WEEKS after first worker became infected

  • Number of coronavirus cases linked to meat processing factory stands at 62
  • 13 new cases, including seven staff and six close contacts linked to Cedar Meats 
  • Premier Daniel Andrews expects cases linked to Melbourne factory to rise 
  • Here’s how to help people impacted by Covid-19

The number of coronavirus cases linked to a Melbourne meat processing factory as grown to 62 after 13 new cases.

Cedar Meats has become a COVID-19 cluster after the first employee tested positive for the virus four weeks ago. 

Staff were notified about the latest cases on Thursday morning, which include seven workers and six close contacts.

They were among 14 new cases recorded in Victoria overnight, taking the statewide tally to 1,454 with 105 active cases.  

Another 13 cases are linked to the coronavirus-riddled Cedar Meats factory in Melbourne

Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews expects the number of cases linked to the meat processing factory to continue rising.

‘We have obviously an outbreak at a meatworks,’ he told reporters on Thursday.

‘That is 13 of those 14 cases that I just referenced in terms of today’s additional cases. That’s the nature of outbreaks. This is a very infectious disease, it spreads rapidly.’ 

All 350 staff at the meat processing facility were tested last week and the Brooklyn site west of Melbourne’s CBD has since been shut down.

None of the infected patients linked to the Cedar Meats cluster have hospitalised to date.

‘This again makes the point that many people may not know they have the virus,’ Preimier Andrews said

‘That is the real challenge and one that we are giving a hell of a lot of thought too.’

HIs government has come under fire from Opposition Leader Michael O’Brien, who questioned why testing was not carried out at the meatworks in Melbourne’s west three weeks earlier after the first case was confirmed.

‘This is Daniel Andrews’ own Ruby Princess,’ Mr O’Brien said.

‘We are seeing massive outbreaks of coronavirus, the numbers are going up and the government needs to explain how they got this so wrong.’

Eight infected Victorians remain in hospital with coronavirus, including six in intensive care.

More than 106,000 tests have been conducted across the state in the past week. 

The latest cases linked to the  Cedar Meats site include seven staff and six close contacts

The latest cases linked to the  Cedar Meats site include seven staff and six close contacts

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk


Comments are closed.