News, Culture & Society

Trolley Man vows to ‘do the right thing’ after it was revealed wanted by police

The Bourke Street hero dubbed ‘Trolley Man’ kept his vow to ‘do the right thing’ and handed himself into police on Friday night.

A Victoria Police spokesperson confirmed to Daily Mail Australia that Michael Rogers, 46, presented himself at a police station and remains in custody.

Authorities were looking to question Mr Rogers over a string of alleged offences in the Melbourne CBD and St Kilda areas – as well as a breach of bail conditions.

 

The Bourke Street hero dubbed ‘Trolley Man’ (pictured) kept his vow to ‘do the right thing’ and handed himself into police on Friday night 

A Victoria Police spokesperson confirmed to Daily Mail Australia that Michael Rogers, 46, presented himself at a police station and remains in custody. 

A Victoria Police spokesperson confirmed to Daily Mail Australia that Michael Rogers, 46, presented himself at a police station and remains in custody. 

Australia's most famous homeless man helped police take down the Bourke Street terrorist by pushing a trolley into him

Australia’s most famous homeless man helped police take down the Bourke Street terrorist by pushing a trolley into him

The man who has been praised a hero for his actions during Melbourne’s recent terror attack disappeared from the radar a few days ago. 

Donna Stolzenberg from the National Homeless Collective who created a fundraising page for the Trolley Man told the Herald Sun that she was with him on Thursday. 

She claimed she was with Mr Rogers while he rang Melbourne West police station on Thursday to ask them about the charges.  

‘He said if there were any charges he would own up to that and do the right thing,’ Ms Stolzenberg said. 

‘No one would help him hand himself in … he is in no way hiding,’ she added. 

Ms Stolzenberg was behind a GoFundMe initiative that raised more than $140,000 for Mr Rogers following his heroic efforts on Bourke St on November 9. 

A video circulated online of Mr Rogers attempting to try and stop Hassan Khalif Shire Ali, 30, as the attacker repeatedly lunged at police officers with a knife

A video circulated online of Mr Rogers attempting to try and stop Hassan Khalif Shire Ali, 30, as the attacker repeatedly lunged at police officers with a knife

In a statement to Daily Mail Australia, Mr Rogers previously said he had ‘contacted police and would like to do the right thing’.

He said the offences were quite old and ‘wants to do what’s in his best interests’.

Ms Stolzenberg told Daily Mail Australia Rogers repeatedly called police to negotiate his surrender after the news broke that he was wanted by police.

‘So far they haven’t called him back. He has called them again. Now trying a third time,’ she said.

Mr Rogers has previously spent time behind bars and has in the past faced charges of aggravated burglary, theft of motor vehicle, traffick in drug of dependence, threat to inflict serious injury, possess controlled weapon without excuse, unlawful assault and assault police. 

Australia’s most famous homeless man helped police take down the Bourke Street terrorist by pushing a trolley into him. 

A video circulated online of Mr Rogers attempting to try and stop Hassan Khalif Shire Ali, 30, as the attacker repeatedly lunged at police officers with a knife.

While more than 4,000 people have donated to the online fundraising effort since it was launched, many were shocked to learn of his checkered past.

‘This human has been in and out of jail for two decades on burglary and other charges,’ one wrote online.

While more than 4,000 people have donated to the online fundraising effort since it was launched, many were shocked to learn of his checkered past

While more than 4,000 people have donated to the online fundraising effort since it was launched, many were shocked to learn of his checkered past

‘He also has a drug addiction. Basically, this guy is a criminal and a deadbeat and you gave him $82K. Well done Australia.’

Melbourne radio host Dee Dee Dunleavy also voiced her concern after initially praising Mr Rogers and the fundraising cause on social media.

‘I was unaware when I tweeted this that he is a convicted criminal. The fact remains that he tried to help, but maybe direct funds to The Salvos instead,’ she said.

Sorry we are not currently accepting comments on this article.

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk