Donald Trump hasn’t spoken publicly about Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s bombshell interview with Oprah because he doesn’t want to be ‘canceled’, his former aide claims.
Trump’s former senior adviser Jason Miller lifted the lid on his feelings about the Sussexes’ interview during an appearance on Steve Bannon’s podcast on Wednesday.
Miller said Trump told him he could ‘make a little news’ by sharing his reaction to the interview – but he ultimately decided it wasn’t a good idea.
‘When I was talking to the president this morning … he’s like: “Yeah, [Meghan’s] no good. I said that and now everybody’s seeing it.
‘”But you realize if you say anything negative about Meghan Markle you get canceled. Look at Piers [Morgan],”‘ Miller recalled.
Morgan left his anchor post at Good Morning Britain last week amid criticism over his controversial comments about the interview.
The polarizing host said he ‘didn’t believe a word’ of what Meghan said about experiencing racism within the Royal Family and feeling suicidal when she was pregnant with son Archie.
Trump has spoken out against Meghan in the past, including when he famously called her ‘nasty’ in 2019.
Donald Trump (left on Sunday) hasn’t spoken publicly about Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s bombshell interview with Oprah because he doesn’t want to be ‘canceled’, his former aide claims
Trump reportedly said he didn’t want to be ‘canceled’ like Piers Morgan (pictured), who left his anchor post at Good Morning Britain last week amid criticism over his forceful comments about the interview with Meghan and Harry
Miller, who worked as Trump’s chief spokesman during his 2016 campaign and as his senior adviser in the 2020 campaign, said Trump told him: ‘I’m on Team Piers. Piers is the best, he’s the greatest, and they went and tried to cancel him simply because he criticized Meghan Markle. This is just the latest chapter of woke culture.’
Morgan resigned from GMB a day after he stormed off set during an on-air row with colleague Alex Beresford, who criticized him for ‘continuing to trash’ the Duchess of Sussex.
There were more than 41,000 complaints received by Ofcom, the UK’s communications regulator, including one from Meghan herself following the clash.
The duchess is said to have raised concerns with ITV about the effect Morgan’s comments may have on the issue of mental health generally and those attempting to deal with their own problems.
But Morgan later repeated his condemnation of her interview the following day when he told reporters outside his West London home: ‘If I have to fall on my sword for expressing an honestly held opinion about Meghan Markle and that diatribe of bilge that she came out with in that interview, so be it.’
Soon after he announced his resignation and tweeted his thanks to the GMB team, praising them for their ‘hard work and dedication’ that led to them beating their main breakfast TV rival.
Morgan (left) resigned from Good Morning Britain a day after he stormed off set during an on-air row with colleague Alex Beresford (right), who criticized him for ‘continuing to trash’ the Duchess of Sussex
Morgan had said he ‘didn’t believe a word’ of what Meghan said about experiencing racism within the Royal Family and feeling suicidal when she was pregnant with son Archie
In the wake of his departure at least three petitions calling for Morgan to be reinstated on GMB garnered more than 240,000 signatures.
Morgan ruled out a return to the show but called the petitions a ‘pleasant surprise’ in an Instagram statement on Saturday.
‘I won’t be going back, but thanks to everyone who has signed these petitions. Normally, people start petitions to have me fired or deported, so this is a pleasant surprise,’ he wrote.
‘Those of you that know me well enough know that, despite my many faults, I’m always willing to stand my ground for the things that I think matter most.
‘My fervent opposition to the Iraq War led to my demise from the Daily Mirror. My outspoken views on the insanity of American gun laws led to the end of my time at CNN.
‘And now I’ve lost my job at Good Morning Britain because I chose not to apologise for disbelieving Meghan Markle’s claims in her interview with Oprah Winfrey.’
He added: ‘I thus became the latest ”victim” of the cancel culture that is permeating our country, every minute, of every hour, of everyday. Though of course, I consider myself to be neither a victim, nor actually cancelled.
‘However, I do believe the defence of free speech and the right to express honestly held opinions, is the most important issue of my career, and the most important issue in British society.’
Sources at ITV have said that Morgan ‘will continue to make programmes for the channel’, according to iNews.
This is likely to include his popular celebrity interview program, Life Stories, which has been on air since 2009.
In a statement, Morgan thanked supporters and declared he was ‘willing to stand my ground’
Trump and the Sussexes have a history of trading barbs.
The then-president weighed in on Harry and Meghan’s decision to leave the Royal Family in January 2020 and expressed condolences for Queen Elizabeth II.
‘I think it’s sad. I do. I think it’s sad. [The Queen’s] a great woman,’ Trump told Fox News.
‘She’s never made a mistake if you look. I mean, she’s had like a flawless time.’
Asked by host Laura Ingraham if Harry should ‘come back to the family’, Trump said: ‘Well, I think, you know, I don’t want to get into the whole thing. But I find it, I just have such respect for the Queen. I don’t think this should be happening to her.’
Trump hit out at Meghan again last fall after she and Harry made the unprecedented decision to comment on the upcoming US election, interpreted by many as an endorsement of now President Joe Biden.
‘I’m not a fan of hers,’ Trump said of Meghan.
‘I would say this – and she has probably has heard that – I wish a lot of luck to Harry because he’s going to need it.’
Meghan and Harry broke with Royal convention when they released a video message making thinly-veiled digs at Trump.
In the video, which came in a Time 100 video to go with the publication of the 2020 list of the most influential people, Harry urged Americans to ‘reject hate speech’ while Meghan called it the ‘most important election of our lifetime’.
‘As we approach this November, it’s vital that we reject hate speech, misinformation and online negativity,’ said Harry – in a line many observers regarded as a swipe at Trump.
‘When the bad outweighs the good, for many, whether we realize it or not, it erodes our ability to have compassion and our ability to put ourself in someone else’s shoes. Because when one person buys into negativity online, the effects are felt exponentially. It’s time to not only reflect, but act,’ he said.
Meghan, who was born in California, encouraged viewers to vote telling them it was the ‘most important’ election.
‘We’re six weeks out from the election, and today is Voter Registration Day,’ she said.
‘Every four years, we’re told the same thing, ‘This is the most important election of our lifetime.
‘But this one is. When we vote, our values are put into action, and our voices are heard.’
Meghan and Harry were accused of ‘crossing the line’ back in September in a Time 100 video (above) where they told American voters to ‘reject hate speech, misinformation and online negativity’ in ‘the most important election of our life’