Donald Trump boasts he has axed Obama-era diversity rule so suburbs ‘will no longer be bothered by low income housing’ and ‘crime will go down’ – and is branded ‘racist’ by Elizabeth Warren
- President Donald Trump tried to position himself as the champion of the suburbs, as those voters could determine if he wins a second term
- ‘I am happy to inform all of the people living their Suburban Lifestyle Dream that you will no longer be bothered… by having low income housing,’ he tweeted
- He also linked low income housing to a higher crime rate, pointing to an Obama-era housing regulation that he reversed earlier this month
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren, a former 2020 Democratic candidate, called Trump’s tweet ‘blatant racism’ as the rule was to right racial discrimination
- Trump has been tailoring his re-election message to suburban voters and his predominantly white base
- He’s taken positions against ‘Black Lives Matter’ and demanded that military bases named for Confederate figures stay that way
President Donald Trump again tried to position himself as the champion of the suburbs, as those voters could determine whether he spends a second term in the White House.
‘I am happy to inform all of the people living their Suburban Lifestyle Dream that you will no longer be bothered or financially hurt by having low income housing built in your neighborhood,’ Trump tweeted as he flew to Texas Wednesday, adding that ‘crime will go down.’
Sen. Elizabeth Warren, a former 2020 Democratic presidential candidate, called it ‘blatant racism from the President of the United States.’
President Trump again tried to position himself as the champion of the suburbs, saying he changed a rule so dwellers wouldn’t be ‘bothered’ by low income housing, a statement that Sen. Elizabeth Warren called ‘blatant racism’
President Trump tweeted Wednesday that Americans living their ‘Suburban Lifestyle Dream’ will ‘no longer be bothered or financially hurt by having low income housing built’ and suggested that neighborhoods with low income housing suffered from more crime
‘And it’s disgusting,’ the Massachusetts Democrat added.
In the tweet, Trump was pointing out how he had reversed an Obama-era housing rule that aimed to combat racial segregation, including in suburban neighborhoods.
‘Your housing prices will go up based on the market, and crime will go down,’ Trump said, touting his move. ‘I have rescinded the Obama-Biden AFFH Rule. Enjoy!’
AFFH stands for Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing, part of the 1968 federal Fair Housing Act.
It was updated under Obama in 2015 to push cities and town to identify patterns of discrimination in housing and issue plans to correct those problems.
In recent weeks, as Trump has seen Democrat Joe Biden eat into his suburban support, he’s spoken specifically about this voting bloc.
He tweeted a message to the ‘Suburban Housewives of America’ last week, warning them, ‘Biden will destroy your neighborhood and your American dream,’ and, again, pointed to the housing rule change.
He’s also staked out a number of positions that play to his majority-white base.
The president has talked up his associations with law enforcement, while expressing anger that ‘Black Lives Matter’ was painted on the street in front of Trump Tower in New York.
He’s threatened to veto a Defense spending bill that includes a provision to rename military bases currently named for Confederate soldiers.
He told ‘Fox News Sunday’ host Chris Wallace that he was not offended by the Confederate flag.
‘When people proudly hang their Confederate flags, they’re not talking about racism. They love their flag, it represents the South,’ Trump said.