News, Culture & Society

Tui customer was left covered in bed bug bites and terrified by a COCKROACH

A tourist has claimed that she was left terrified by a cockroach and covered in bug bites after a £2,500 dream TUI holiday turned into a nightmare- leaving her and her father in hospital. 

Sara Palmer, 40, from Greenwich, was at the Venosa Beach Resort and Spa in Didim, Turkey, in October. She alleges that she found at least a dozen bites across her body while she was on the three-week holiday with her father Joe, 73.

Photographs appear to show both covered in red bumps, with bruises and bleeding scratch marks across their arms, neck and legs as well as bed bugs on a mattress.

The ordeal left them both in hospital, with Sara on an IV drip for an hour while doctors examined her bed bug reaction and her father treated for injuries that occurred after he hit his head on a coffee table in a hotel room.

Sara was later prescribed creams and antihistamines to help reduce the swelling while her father needed six stitches on his head injury. The father and daughter have been offered a £400 voucher from TUI but have said this is not enough.

Sara Palmer, 40, from Greenwich, was at the Venosa Beach Resort and Spa in Didim, Aydin in October. She alleges that she found at least a dozen bites across her body while she was on the three-week holiday with her father Joe, 73, pictured together on holiday in a happier moment before their alleged ordeal

Photographs appear to show both covered in red bumps, pictured, with bruises and bleeding scratch marks across their arms, neck and legs as well as bed bugs on a mattress

Photographs appear to show both covered in red bumps, pictured, with bruises and bleeding scratch marks across their arms, neck and legs as well as bed bugs on a mattress

The 40-year-old, who relies on a wheelchair for mobility, said: ‘We have been to this hotel two years before. It was okay then but has gone downhill terribly.

‘The food was always quite cold but now it was freezing and always served up from the previous day’s food. I am disabled and can’t walk unaccompanied, so this is why we chose it.

Sara claimed to have also seen bed bugs roaming around the hotel, including a 23 milimeter one that she caught in a glass.  

Sara claimed to have also seen bed bugs roaming around the hotel, including a 23 milimeter one that she caught in a glass, pictured

Sara claimed to have also seen bed bugs roaming around the hotel, including a 23 milimeter one that she caught in a glass, pictured

She added: ‘It’s unsafe. As I said, we were hurt – me with the bed bugs reaction. I was sent to the private hospital who just said it was a serious reaction to [the bedbugs].

‘My dad cut his head open in the room, on the very sharp square coffee table. He was rushed to the state hospital because it was a head injury, and needed six stitches.

‘There were four sets of lifts, all were dangerous because of the sensors not working properly. If you manage to get in the lift you run the risk of getting yourself crushed.

‘Someone we knew there did get her arm caught. Luckily, I was always in my wheelchair.

‘There were not enough life guards around the various pools or on their private beach, old freezing cold food was being served up. And if that wasn’t finished from breakfast it was served up for lunch and dinner.’

Pictured: A photograph of an alleged bed bug on a mattress at Sara and Joe's hotel in October

Pictured: A photograph of an alleged bed bug on a mattress at Sara and Joe’s hotel in October 

Her father is equally unimpressed by their experience at the hotel in October.

He said: ‘It was two in the morning [when he hurt his head]. We always left the bathroom lights on and the balcony light on.

‘I got out of bed, going to the bathroom. I lost my balance and fell backwards, hitting my head on the sharp square wooden table. cutting a gash into the back of my head.

‘My daughter called reception and they phoned for an ambulance to take me to the state hospital. There, I received six stitches and an x-ray.

Her father is equally unimpressed by their experience at the hotel in October. Pictured: Joe on holiday

Her father is equally unimpressed by their experience at the hotel in October. Pictured: Joe on holiday

‘My daughter had to make her own way to the hospital. To pick me up.. I am completely disgusted with all of TUI’s responses. At no time have TUI asked us if we are happy with the settlement.

‘As far as I am concerned, this is just TUI trying to back out of their responsibilities again. Furthermore, the TUI legal team has not contacted us.

‘We have sent our report and photos on more than one occasion, with very little response from them.

‘To think £400 holiday vouchers would [suffice] is laughable.’

A Tui spokesperson said: ‘We’re really sorry to hear about Ms Palmer’s experience.

‘Our customer care team has contacted her to apologise and offered her a holiday voucher as compensation.

‘We’re not aware of any complaints regarding cleanliness at this hotel so we thank Ms Palmer for bringing this to our attention. We’ll conduct an investigation directly with the hotel.

‘We’d like to reassure customers that instances like this are rare.’

***
Read more at DailyMail.co.uk



Find local lawyers and law firms at USAttorneys.com