News, Culture & Society

Two Tory councillors resign amid Windsor homeless row

Windsor Council leader Simon Dudley (file image) survived last night’s attempt to remove him as Tory group chief

Two Conservative councillors have quit the party group on Windsor council after the Tory leader survived a no confidence vote over his call for rough sleepers to be moved on before the Royal Wedding.

Simon Dudley survived last night’s attempt to remove him as group party leader but his victory prompted immediate resignations of two of his councillors.  

Paul Brimacombe and Asghar Majeed will continue as independent Conservative councillors. They are still party members but will sit outside the Tory group controlling the council.

Mr Dudley triggered outrage when he suggested beggars should be cleared from Windsor before Prince Harry ties the knot with Meghan Markle in May. 

In a joint statement, the two councillors said: ‘Immediately following the announcement of the result of the no-confidence vote, Councillor Majeed and Councillor Brimacombe resigned from the Conservative group and departed the meeting.

‘It was not considered appropriate by them to wholeheartedly disagree with the will of the group on this fundamental issue and yet to remain within the group.

‘With the departure of the last of the few dissenting voices within the Conservative group, possibly an even more cohesive and purposeful Conservative group will emerge.

‘Councillors Majeed and Brimacombe will continue to represent the residents of Oldfield and Cox Green respectively as independent Conservative councillors, with the same core values upon which they were elected.’

Paul Brimacombe (left) and Asghar Majeed (right) immediately resigned from the Conservative group and will now sit as independent Tories

Mr Dudley triggered outrage when he suggested beggars should be cleared from Windsor before Prince Harry ties the knot with Meghan Markle in May (pictured is a person sleeping on the streets of Windsor on Sunday) 

Mr Dudley triggered outrage when he suggested beggars should be cleared from Windsor before Prince Harry ties the knot with Meghan Markle in May (pictured is a person sleeping on the streets of Windsor on Sunday) 

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle (pictured last week in Cardiff) are to marry in Windsor on May 19 following the announcement of their engagement last year 

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle (pictured last week in Cardiff) are to marry in Windsor on May 19 following the announcement of their engagement last year 

It is expected that the opposition group within the council will attempt to oust the council leader with a no-confidence vote on January 29.

Controversy erupted when Mr Dudley said beggars could present the town in a ‘sadly unfavourable light’ when the royal wedding goes ahead in the spring.

In a letter to police, he complained about ‘aggressive begging and intimidation’, and ‘bags and detritus’ on the streets.

A petition to stop rough sleepers being taken off the streets attracted tens of thousands of signatures, while comedian Russell Brand urged neighbouring Slough Council to donate an existing building to help the homeless in the Windsor area.

Mr Dudley later apologised for his comments and said he was not referring to genuine homeless people, and that he regretted referring to Harry and Ms Markle’s wedding at the time. 

The couple are due to marry inside the St George's Chapel in the heart of Windsor Castle, the royal residence west of London 

The couple are due to marry inside the St George’s Chapel in the heart of Windsor Castle, the royal residence west of London 



Read more at DailyMail.co.uk



Find local lawyers and law firms at USAttorneys.com