Swimming pool is shut down and swarmed with police after a missing two-year-old toddler is ‘found in the toilets with a stranger’ and officers investigate an alleged assault
- Police called to Angelo Anestis Aquatic Centre in Bexley, Sydney, on Saturday
- One woman says she phoned by staff at the pool to pick up her sisters from pool
- She says she saw mother crying, screaming and hugging her infant son
- Police taped off the bathroom and have launched an investigation into incident
A popular swimming centre has been closed down and its bathroom taped off by police after an infant was found in a toilet with a stranger.
Police were called to the Angelo Anestis Aquatic Centre at Bexley, in Sydney’s south, on Saturday afternoon.
A woman told Daily Mail Australia she was phoned by pool staff to pick up her younger sisters who were swimming at the facility at the time.
‘The bathrooms were all closed off with police tape, then all of a sudden a mother was crying and screaming, hugging her son,’ she said.
Officers were called to the Angelo Anestis Aquatic Centre at Bexley, in Sydney’s south, on Saturday afternoon
The woman, who asked not to be named, said staff had been looking for an infant who went missing.
‘Before that the whole pool was searching for the infant, including all the lifeguards,’ she said.
She said the a two-year-old boy was ‘found in a bathroom with another male’.
‘When they did find the boy all you see was police rocked up and everything was closed off and other members in the pool heard from lifeguard the exact same thing that he was found in the bathroom with someone he does not know,’ she said.
The incident was doubly bad for the pool as it was forced to shut down a second time after a coronavirus scare.
An infected hotel quarantine security guard visited on March 13 from 9 to 9.30am before testing positive late on Saturday night.
Angelo Anestis Aquatic Centre said police were investigating an allegation of a possible assault. The incident was doubly bad for the pool as it was forced to shut down a second time after a coronavirus scare
Angelo Anestis Aquatic Centre said in a statement the pool was closed to the public and Sunday morning classes cancelled and expected to open hours later.
‘Police are investigating an allegation of a possible assault and will release a statement if one is required,’ it said.
‘We are not aware of any [ongoing] risk to child safety.’
NSW Police said officers were investigating the scene following the incident.
‘This weekend officers from St George Police Area Command attended a swimming complex in Bexley as part of inquiries for an ongoing investigation,’ it said.
Police said officers were still investigating whether a crime was committed.
Angelo Anestis Aquatic Centre declined to comment further than its statement.
A woman said she was phoned by pool staff to pick up her younger sisters who were swimming at the facility at the time