When a Texas home caught fire in the middle of the night this month, a two-year-old boy came to the rescue, waking up his parents and ultimately saving everyone’s life.
Nathan, 33, and Kayla Dahl, 28, from Alvord were asleep at 4:30 in the morning on January 15 when a fire erupted in their home, quickly filling the house with flames.
But cause their fire alarms malfunctioned and didn’t go off — and both had lost their sense of smell due to COVID — neither was awakened to the danger.
Enter their two-year-old son, Brandon, who tapped his mother on the foot to tell her it was ‘hot.’
The family quickly escaped their burning house, making it out with their lives — but nothing else.
‘Everything is gone. We lost my car. Everything inside the house,’ Kayla told Good Morning America. ‘Brandon saved us. He was wrapped in in God’s arms to help protect him and to make sure that our entire family was able to get out.’
When a Texas home caught fire in the middle of the night this month, a two-year-old boy came to the rescue, waking up his parents and ultimately saving everyone’s life
Nathan, 33, and Kayla Dahl, 28, from Alvord were asleep at 4:30 a.m. on January 15 when a fire erupted in their home
The fire started at around 4:30 a.m., due to what Nathan thinks was a gas heater in the living room.
He and Kayla couldn’t taste or smell due to a recent bout of COVID-19, and oddly, none of their alarms worked.
‘We had brand new, less than a year old, smoke alarms in our house,’ Nathan told WFAA. ‘None of them went off.’
But Brandon, who had been sleeping in the living room, woke up to the flame and smokes and entered his parents’ bedroom.
‘He tapped me on my feet in bed and was coughing and saying, “Mama, hot. Mama, hot,”‘ Kayla told GMA. ‘I turned around. I looked and all I saw was flames in the doorway.’
The couple leapt into action, getting their five children out of the house.
‘She’s screaming, “Fire! Fire! Fire!”‘ Nathan said. ‘My initial thought was, “OK, I’m going to get up and I’m going to get to work.”
‘We had seconds,’ he added. ‘It’s nothing short of a miracle.’
Their son Brandon woke them up by tapping on Kayla’s foot, saying ‘Mama, hot. Mama, hot’
The couple rushed their five children out of the house and watched it burn down from across the street. It also destroyed their cars
Nathan, a six-year volunteer firefighter, had taught his children what to do in a fire, and they knew not to touch anything on their way out.
The family managed to get safely outside, and only then did the fire alarm go off.
They stood across the street watching their house burn down, with the flames also destroying both of their cars.
‘About maybe a minute after we got out of the house, our front door had flames coming out of it,’ Nathan said. ‘Everything was in flames.’
Fortunately, no one was injured, though Brandon had some slightly singed hair on his head.
Kayla and Nathan credit the little boy with saving their lives.
‘He saved our entire family,’ the proud mom said. ‘I mean, he’s our little mini hero.’
She also believes there was a higher power at work.
‘Brandon definitely had a guardian angel help him get out of that living room. It’s honestly nothing short of a miracle. An absolute miracle,’ she said.
Read more at DailyMail.co.uk