News, Culture & Society

Uefa to check if Stadio San Paolo is ready for Napoli’s Champions League clash against Liverpool


Buying or leasing a car in the UK? Check MOT of car before you do.

Uefa to check if Stadio San Paolo is ready for Napoli’s Champions League clash against Liverpool after Carlo Ancelotti criticised state of dressing rooms

  • Uefa will check whether the Stadio San Paolo will be ready for Liverpool’s visit 
  • Carlo Ancelotti criticised the state of the dressing rooms at the stadium 
  • Napoli have yet to play at home this season but host Sampdoria on Saturday 

Uefa will seek assurances regarding whether the Stadio San Paolo is ready to host Napoli’s Champions League game against Liverpool next week after Carlo Ancelotti criticised the state of the stadium’s dressing rooms.

The stadium underwent renovation work during the summer after the Universiade athletics event was held there, but it hasn’t been fully completed.

As reported by the Evening Standard, Liverpool have been told that the visiting dressing rooms haven’t undergone work and should be in a similar condition to when they played there last season.

Uefa will check whether the Stadio San Paolo will be ready for Liverpool’s visit

In a statement on Napoli’s official website, Ancelotti said: ‘I saw the conditions of the San Paolo dressing rooms. I am speechless. I accepted the club’s request to play the first two games of the season away from home so that the work could be completed, as promised.

‘You can build a house in two months and they were unable to refurbish the dressing rooms! Where are we supposed to change for the games against Sampdoria and Liverpool?’.

Napoli boss Carlo Ancelotti was heavily critical of the state of the stadium's dressing rooms

Napoli boss Carlo Ancelotti was heavily critical of the state of the stadium’s dressing rooms

Napoli have played both of their Serie A games so far this season away from home, but they are scheduled to host Sampdoria on Saturday evening.      

The construction company behind the renovation work defended themselves, with architect Floriana Smiragli, who is overseeing the construction work, telling CalcioNapoli24: ‘As planned, on Friday morning we will hand the stadium back to the Naples Council in perfect condition, perfectly functional.

‘I am shocked, because we have always had a cordial, honest and fair rapport with Napoli and today I read these statements from Ancelotti, who wasn’t even at the stadium. I think they must’ve sent him old photographs.

Smiragli said that Ancelotti’s comments ‘leave a bitter taste in the mouth.’ 

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk


Comments are closed.