A student was found dead in her university halls after she put off seeking treatment for an ear infection.
Victoria Hills, 20, had asked her friends for painkillers before deciding to get an early night, but died in her bed at Bournemouth University.
The music and sound production student put off visiting the campus GP because her student loan had not come through and she could not afford a prescription, it is claimed.
The talented musician was not discovered more than a day after her death as most of her housemates had gone home for the weekend. The family say were told by doctors that she may have passed away from sepsis, although an official cause of death has not been reached.
Victoria Hills, 20, had asked her friends for painkillers before deciding to get an early night, but died in her bed at Bournemouth University. Pictured: with her mother
Her mother, Tracey Hills, now hopes students who have infections will not put off seeing a doctor, no matter how small their ailment may seem.
Ms Hills, 52, said: ‘Victoria was so full of life. She had been in her church choir for 11 years and always played in school concerts. Music was everything to her.
‘She started getting colds from when she moved to uni. She always caught them and everyone had fresher’s flu and this carried on the whole first term.
‘At some point she thought she had an ear infection, but she said there was no point going to the doctor because she couldn’t afford a prescription.
‘At the end of January I was messaging her on Facebook, and she said she thought she might have had flu and was feeling a bit rough.
‘The last thing she said to me, on January 31 was “Right, I’m going to dose myself up on painkillers, then try and eat and get some sleep” and told me she loved me.
‘Then she sent me a GIF of a virtual hug, and I sent her a heart. I never heard from her again.’
Victoria was brought up in Chichester, West Sussex, and had always had an interest in music. She had sang in the choir at St George’s Church in the city for 11 years and loved singing and playing the saxophone.
Victoria Hills passed away in February although an official cause of death has not been registered
She had a part time job at Pizza Hut during sixth form and was described by her mother as ‘an exceptional and caring young woman’.
Victoria is thought to have passed away in the early hours of February 4 after trying to get an early night but she was not discovered until February 6 after security broke into her room.
The cause of death has not yet been explained but medics believe it could be down to sepsis or blood poisoning, which occurs in response to an infection.
One of the symptoms, which Victoria said that she was suffering from, is light-headedness, which is caused by low blood pressure.
Her mother said she would bury her daughter in her favourite colour, red, and a pair of black boots that she was fond of wearing.
Mrs Hills added: ‘Right from being a baby it was just me and her, just the two of us, and I have no idea how or whether I can get through this.
‘I am still in shock and still not wanting it to be true.’
The Sepsis Trust’s chief executive said: ‘Stories like Victoria’s remind us of the devastating human cost of sepsis.
‘Every day in the UK, individuals and families have their lives torn apart by the condition, but better awareness could save thousands of lives each year.
The music and sound production student put off visiting the campus GP because her student loan had not come through and she could not afford a prescription, it is claimed
It is believed the young students ear infection may have developed into sepsis
‘Anyone with “flu-like” symptoms and one or more of the key signs of sepsis must present to healthcare immediately, either by calling an ambulance or going to an emergency department.
‘With every hour that passes before the right antibiotics are administered, risk of death increases.’
A spokeswoman for Dorset Police said: ‘Dorset Police was called at 12.20am on Tuesday 6 February 2018 to reports of the sudden death of a 20-year-old woman at an address in St Paul’s Place, Bournemouth.
‘Officers attended and it was established that there were no suspicious circumstances regarding the death. The woman’s next of kin have been informed and the corner notified.’
Bournemouth University will put on a coach for up to 50 student mourners who want to attend her funeral next month.
A spokesman for the University said: ‘We are saddened by the death of one of our students, Victoria Hills. Our thoughts are with her family and friends at this difficult time.’
A GoFundMe page has been set up here.