US and South Korea forces have undergone training drills aimed at taking out Kim Jong-un’s nuclear missiles.
The two countries took part in military exercises, codenamed ‘Warrior Strike’, last week at Camp Stanley, north of the capital city of Seoul.
The drills took place over four days and prepared soldiers for the disarming of weapons of mass destruction.
Gen. Vincent K. Brooks, who commands U.S. Forces Korea, and South Korea’s chairman of Joint Chiefs of Staff, Gen. Jung Kyung-doo, were among those in attendance, the U.S. 2nd Infantry Division wrote on Facebook.
US and South Korea forces have undergone training drills aimed at taking out Kim Jong-un’s nuclear missiles. (pictured: US military personnel during a training programme in South Korea in 2013
The drills took place over four days and prepared soldiers for the disarming of weapons of mass destruction amassed by Kim Jong-un (pictured)
It comes after a top Pentagon official said a ‘ground invasion’ was the only way to destroy North Korea’s nuclear weapons program.
Pyongyang has already conducted a test with a missile that could potentially carry a nuclear warhead to the U.S. Eastern Seaboard.
Sen. Lindsey Graham this week predicted that President Donald Trump would take the country to war with North Korea if Kim Jong-un makes additional provocations.
Graham told The Atlantic in an interview that appeared on the magazine’s website Thursday that another nuclear test would be the final straw.
‘I would say there’s a three in 10 chance we use the military option,’ Graham said. Upping the odds in the case of a seventh test, he replied, ‘I would say 70 percent.’
A Chinese former senior military official warned that war in North Korea could break out ‘any time between now and March 2018’.
A top Pentagon official said a ‘ground invasion’ was the only way to destroy North Korea’s nuclear weapons program
Lieutenant General Wang Hongguang said Beijing should be mentally prepared for war on the Korean peninsula at any moment, and should start mobilising troops in Northeast China.
His warning came the day before China sent several warplanes on a long-range drill to the Sea of Japan, a move that prompted South Korea to scramble fighter jets.
‘The war on the Korean Peninsula might break out anytime between now and March next year,’ General Hongguang told Chinese state-run English language newspaper Global Times.
‘China should be psychologically prepared for a potential Korean war, and the Northeast China regions should be mobilized for that.’
‘Such mobilization is not to launch a war, but for defensive purposes,’ he added.
Monday’s military drill saw the Chinese air force dispatched bombers, fighters and reconnaissance planes through the Tsushima Strait to the Sea of Japan to ‘test its ocean combat ability.’
South Korean army soldiers exit their military trucks during an arrest operation in Goseong