Many web designers are familiar with the problem of creating small, realistic details. This issue is especially acute when drawing textured surfaces. There are a lot of features to consider to create the effect of photography. Among them:
- Color depth;
- Shadow contour;
- Relief depth;
- The presence of small roughness and glare and much more.
All this makes it easy to implement the Displacement Map program from the 3DCoat web studio. The program is designed for both professional designers and university and college students. If your activity is related to 3D modeling, then keep reading this article. We will describe in detail the functionality of the program. You will also learn more information about other developments and achievements of the brand.
Purpose of 3DCoat
This software application combines many functions. Users can use this software product for the following tasks:
- Drawing details on the monitor (integration with Photoshop is possible);
- Transferring the drawing to the finished 3D model;
- Ability to work with organic and hard surfaces.
Such a wide range of possibilities allows us to simplify the workflow as much as possible. There is no need to study and connect various single-function applications or search for drivers to join them. With 3DCoat, you can complete the entire process without interruption.
Interesting 3DCoat features:
- The program allows you to model organic objects and rough low-poly models;
- The set of tools is designed to create relief sculptures;
- Users can manually add or configure automatic topology;
- It is possible to add UV maps or create them manually automatically;
- For those who work in a team, there is an interactive texturing function;
- The function of rendering static scenes is provided;
- You can run a circular animation of the model before printing it on a 3D printer to understand in advance how it will look in reality.
Among the additional bonuses, many users note the vast possibilities of program settings. It also integrates easily with other client software. For example, you can easily import 3D models created in other applications into the program interface. Then you can edit and print them using 3DCoat.
The software also allows you to convert imported models to voxel sculptures. Voxel geometry allows further editing of the model, deepening it and increasing its volume. At the same time, the layers can not only be improved but also removed.
Another exciting feature is the ability to set UVs. This allows the layout to be aligned and to avoid inconsistent places. Also, you can quickly get rid of excessive texture or flat areas at the joints. Also, this technique removes geometric distortion.
Among the features of the program will appreciate the presence of:
- Mapping (one of the most demanded functions, which is implemented at the highest level in 3DCoat);
- Substitution card;
- Glare map;
- Diffuse color map.
After completing the change process, you can save the result and re-transfer it to the original software. All textures and descriptions for them will be saved there.
Displacement Map features
This program allows you to create the most sophisticated graphics and transfer them to a 3D model. Everything about surface texturing is considered one of the most challenging stages. The application is part of comprehensive software and has many functions. In the process, you can perform the following techniques:
- Create geometric detail by adding or erasing pixel layers;
- Render according to the model description;
- Modify the real surface of the 3D model.
Unlike bump mapping, which changes the surface normals, Displacement Map changes the surface itself. This is reflected in improved quality. If we are talking about a computer image, then the depth of colors and the contour of the shadow from the picture are automatically changed.
Displacement mapping technique with the help of the appropriate application allows you to focus on realism. The detail becomes so bright that the outline of the model, its shadows, and the depth of colors change. The modifier works for different model materials. The CG version also adds highlights to liven up the image.
To get started, try using the essential functions:
- In a blank document, create a sphere with any radius and select a render type;
- To the drawn sphere, assign the material from which you plan to print the 3D model;
- In the modifier panel, assign any of the proposed effects;
- To change the texture, click on their list and select a different value in the dialog box;
- When replacing a texture, you must drag it to the window where the model’s material is indicated;
- To increase the efficiency of using the Displacement function, increase the numerical value in the corresponding field.
You can also use the geometry clipping function. Select it on the taskbar and specify the numerical value that should be clipped. You also need to add the side of the shape to be removed. The program even allows you to get a jagged edge along the clipping path.
Features and solutions of the 3Coat brand
The developer’s company’s main task was to provide users with tools for simple and effective texturing. By applying various applications and techniques created by the company, you can appreciate the benefits:
- Microvertex drawing and pixel painting;
- Physically-based rendering;
- Wide range of materials;
- Easy adjustment of texturing;
- Multi-layer painting and layer removal;
- The ability to combine multiple layers and objects;
- Integration with other software;
- Data storage and calculation of structures and materials;
- Ability to design volumetric sculptures.
All this gives users the most comprehensive opportunities for learning and work. For more information, visit the 3Coat website. There you can also evaluate the possibilities of the trial version and choose the appropriate tariff. The app has several versions and is regularly updated. In later versions, they collected the maximum number of new and interesting functions.