An unlicensed driver behind the wheel of an out-of-control car that killed two boys in country New South Wales was allegedly seen driving erratically just seconds before the crash.
Jacob Donn, 25, allegedly fled the scene of a crash on Warne Street at Wellington, in central western NSW, after he lost control of his Holden sedan and ploughed into a mother, her three boys and a family friend.
Witness claim Donn was doing burnouts and donuts on the street moments beforehand.
The crash killed Sheldon, 6, and Shane Shorey, 7, instantly, while their mum Shayleen Frail, 34, and a family friend were both flown to Westmead Hospital in Sydney critical conditions.
Sheldon and Shane’s brother Mark, 9, was also taken to hospital with minor injuries.
Donn is currently being questioned at Dubbo Police Station and is expected to be charged this afternoon.
Their shattered father Joseph Shorey told Daily Mail Australia his kids were both ‘fun loving, beautiful boys’ who had been in Wellington to visit their mother and family for Christmas.
Mr Shorey said he had last seen his sons on Monday where they told him they loved him and would see him in just a few weeks.
Sheldon (left), 6, and Shane Shorey (right), 7, were killed when an out-of-control car ploughed into them as they walked home from the local pool with their mother, brother and their friend in Wellington, in central western NSW, on Tuesday afternoon
Jacob Donn, 25, allegedly fled the scene of a crash on Warne Street at Wellington, in central western NSW, after he lost control of his Holden sedan and ploughing into a mother, her three boys and a family friend
Heartbroken father Joseph Shorey (pictured) remembered Sheldon (middle) and Shane (far left) as ‘fun loving and beautiful’. He told Daily Mail Australia his oldest son Mark (left), 9, escaped from the crash with minor injuries (Also pictured are Mr Shorey’s partner Ivy and his step-daughter Brey)
Wellington residents visit the scene in Warne St where two boys were mowed down and killed by a driver on Tuesday afternoon
The two young boys had been walking home from the Wellington Aquatic Centre when they were hit by an out-of-control red Holden sedan with P-plates (pictured)
‘I only saw them the day before and they gave me big hugs and cuddles and said: “Dad, we love you, we’ll see you on the 17th”,’ Mr Shorey said.
‘Now I’ve lost my two youngest boys.
‘Mark, my oldest boy, is nine and he’s OK but he’s scared. He’s in Orange Base Hospital so I’m on my way to pick him up.
‘He doesn’t know that his brothers are dead, he just thinks they are in hospital like him, I don’t know how I’m going to tell him
‘I can’t believe it mate. I’m so shattered. It is gut wrenching, it is heartbreaking, it is everything you ever imagine it would be.
‘My kids should be burying me, I shouldn’t have to be burying them, they were my world.’
In the moments before the crash witnesses claimed the 25-year-old driver of the red Holden was doing burnouts along Warne St, where tyre marks can be seen along the road.
Police claim the driver allegedly fled the scene after the crash before he was finally arrested late on Tuesday and taken to Dubbo Police Station for questioning.
Police sources confirmed he was unlicensed.
Mr Shorey said his children were all incredible sporty and loved the outdoors, particularly playing rugby league and soccer in the background, and riding their bikes and scooters.
The boys had been living in NSW before moved up to Queensland with him last year – but wherever they went they were popular kids.
He gave Daily Mail Australia permission to picture his two sons, sharing a range of his favourite photos including some taken just recently over Christmas.
‘They were very happy kids, very sporty, very happy go lucky, just beautiful. They were very popular, no matter where they went,’ Mr Shorey said.
Mr Shorey said his children were all incredible sporty and loved the outdoors, particularly playing rugby league and soccer in the background, and riding their bikes and scooters. Pictured on their scooters above are Shane (left) and Sheldon .
A teddy bear and flowers at the scene of the Wellington tragedy
Mr Shorey said the boys had been living in NSW before moved up to Queensland with him last year – but wherever they went they were popular kids.
‘My kids should be burying me, I shouldn’t have to be burying them, they were my world,’ Mr Shorey said
Police at the scene on Warne Street in Wellington, in central-west NSW, on Tuesday afternoon
‘Sheldon was a little show off, always being like ‘look at me, look at me’, but he’s a little cutey, all the girls loved him.
‘Shane was very sporty and he also liked to be noticed. He knew he was good and he liked people to know as well.’
The father-of-four said he only found out about the accident late last night after news of it began to travel throughout Wellington and nearby Dubbo.
‘My family in Dubbo rang me. They heard wind of it and said “There are these stories getting around, can you find out what’s going on?”,’ Mr Shorey recalled.
‘I said “What do you mean?” and they said “There’s been a car accident, apparently it’s your boys”.
‘I rang up Wellington Hospital and they put me straight onto the detective and he just said: “I’m sorry to inform you but there’s been two deaths”.
‘I said “Who is it?” and he told me it was Shane and Sheldon.’
Mr Shorey said after picking up Mark from hospital he wants to visit the crash site and lay flowers as a tribute to his sons.
NSW Police Acting Superintendent Natalie Antaw described the incident as a ‘tragedy’.
‘Obviously it’s tragic circumstances for the entire community and our thoughts are completely with the family and friends of the little ones involved and also the rest of the community of Wellington,’ Act Supt Antaw said.
‘Obviously a scene like that is horrific for anybody.
Acting Police Superintendent Inspector Natalie Antaw (pictured) described the incident as a tragedy for the Wellington community
The tragedy has shocked the tight-knit community in country New South Wales
The 25-year-old driver is currently being questioned at Dubbo Police Station and is expected to be charged on Wednesday
Sheldon, Shane, Mark, their mother Shayleen Frail and a friend were walking home from the Wellington Aquatic Leisure Centre (pictured) when a car ploughed into them on the same street
‘It’s a tragedy for the families involved and we’ll be making sure we take care of our own staff and others who have witnessed this tragic incident.
‘It’s one of those jobs where you sometimes wish your arms were a little bit longer so you can wrap them around all your staff.’
The close knit community of Wellington, home to 5,000 people, is now rallying around the shattered family.
A GoFundMe page has been set up with donations to go to Mr Shorey to help him pay for funerals for his two boys, after he lost his job late last year.
‘He sent his babies home for contact with their mummy and mob and the most tragic accident happened please assist Joseph Paul Shorey to bury his babies with dignity and pride,’ his close friend and GoFundMe organiser Tarryn Burson wrote.
‘I cannot fathom the pain he and all the mob are going through right now.’
Friends have also offered their support to Mr Shorey on Facebook.
‘Sending condolences, thoughts and prayers to Joseph Paul Shorey and family at this sad time,’ one person wrote.
‘May your baby boys shine brightly above and beyond.’
Another tribute read: ‘Life is so cruel. My heart aches reading the sad news of the tragic accident in Wellington yesterday.’
‘May you rest in piece little guys. I’m honestly lost for words.
The tragedy comes almost 12 months since siblings Sienna, Angelina and Antony Abdallah were rundown and killed at Oatlands, in Sydney’s north-west, as they walked to get ice cream
‘Joseph Paul Shorey. My heart, thoughts and prayers go out to you all my mate.’
The tragedy comes almost 12 months since three siblings and their cousin were mowed down and killed in Oatlands in western Sydney.
Samuel William Davidson, 30, was on a cocktail of alcohol, cocaine and MDMA when he killed siblings Antony, 13, Angelina, 12, and Sienna Abdallah, 9, and their cousin Veronique Sakr, 11 on February 1 last year.
Three others were injured on their way to buy ice-creams at a local supermarket.
Davidson will be sentenced in March after he recently pleaded guilty to four manslaughter charges.