News, Culture & Society

What to do if your dog eats a starburst

Something in a small amount can not hurt anyone seriously, but that is the only extent to which dogs and candies get along. If taken in large amounts, these can be seriously harmful to your pet dog. On personal grounds, I suggest you not feed your dog any sort of candy.

https://bulldogpapa.com/pet-safety-can-dogs-eat-starburst/

Starburst

Starburst is a well-known candy brand among children. It is known for its variation of flavors, texture, taste, and chewiness. These are bite-sized candies. So, these are completely safe for children and can serve as a good treat among children.

Constituents of starburst that are harmful to dogs are:

Xylitol is a food sweetener. It is also used in candies to make them sweeter. This releases a sudden boost of insulin in a dog’s body and can lead to low blood sugar. Methylxanthines that are present inside chocolate can lead to tremors and a rapid increase in heart rate. Raisins are also dangerous to dogs and can often lead to kidney failures.

Symptoms of your dog taking starburst:

  • Lost appetite. Ingesting chocolate, raisins, or anything with xylitol, which are harmful to dogs, can affect the functions of a dog’s digestive system. This can lead to him losing any sort of interest in food for long periods.
  • If your dog she’s uneasy after investing in candies, it might be a symptom of higher blood pressure because of the high amounts of acid and sweetener in the candy.
  • Intake of candies will result in silent whining, growling, and other subtle actions. It is because of the constituents of candies that are harmful to dogs. These might be potential symptoms of a stomachache. Because of this, a dog can show shallow breathing, palpitation, and refusal to move.
  • Upset Stomach. Eating a lot of candies at once can lead to an upset stomach or diarrhea. It can be a result of lost appetite in the dog. This is because dogs are relatively more sensitive towards their stomach.

Harmful effects of your dog eating starburst

  • It may cause vomiting and diarrhea if taken in large quantities, especially in small dogs.
  • These can also lead to poor ingestion in dogs.
  • Taken in high quantity can lead to hyperactivity, tremors, elevated heart rate, and seizures among dogs.
  • These can prove to be toxic and very lethal to dogs.

Candies that should not be given to your dog:

Any candy that contains xylitol, raisins, dark chocolate, milk chocolate, sugary candy. It is said by veterinarians that these candies are not harmful to dogs if given in an amount less than 10 grams at a time. But still, one can never be enough careful.

What to do if your dog intakes starburst?

  • Try to find a substitute for starburst. Something with a delightful taste and good smell, this way the dog will be more likely to be attracted to it. These substitutes can consist of cheese, strawberries, watermelon, bananas, and biscuits.
  • Try to keep the starburst out of reach of the dog. Keep the candy jar at a higher play so that the dog does not jump to it.
  • You need to decide on your own that how much withdrawal needs to keep your dog away from starburst. You can not do it all at once.
  • Try consulting a vet. Visit the website here for more information.