News, Culture & Society

Whirlpool tumble dryer ‘sparks house fire leaving family £125,000 out of pocket’

Family are left £125,000 out of pocket after blaze ‘sparked by a Whirlpool tumble dryer’ tears through their home

  • Jaswinder Singh Mudhar, 57, woke up at 4am to find fire tearing through kitchen
  • The couple claim fire originated from a ‘faulty’ Whirlpool Hotspot tumble dryer
  • Fire caused £80,000 of damage to home, with £45,000 of belongings destroyed
  • Couple say they have been forced to live in the shed in the garden in Worcester

A couple are facing £125,000 worth of debt after a blaze they claim was caused by a Whirlpool tumble dryer tore through their home in the middle of the night.

Jaswinder Singh Mudhar, 57, woke up at 4am to the smell of smoke and quickly sprang into action to rescue his family from the fumes.

The self-employed gas engineer and his wife Harminder, 51, say the fire tore through the house and caused damage to the entire ground floor and parts of the top floor.

The couple, from Worcester, claim their Whirlpool Hotspot tumble dryer must have been faulty as it was not even on when the blaze happened. 

Whirlpool this week announced it was recalling its Creda, Hotpoint, Indesit, Proline and Swan tumble dryers made between April 1, 2004 and September 30, 2015.

The self-employed gas engineer and his wife Harminder, 51, say the fire tore through the house and caused damage to the entire ground floor and parts of the top floor

A couple are facing £125,000 worth of debt after a blaze they claim was caused by a Whirlpool tumble dryer (shown left) tore through their kitchen (right) in the middle of the night

Jaswinder Singh Mudhar, 57, is pictured with his wife Harminder and son Ronnie after the fire tore through their home

Jaswinder Singh Mudhar, 57, is pictured with his wife Harminder and son Ronnie after the fire tore through their home

The flaw is said to be caused by excess fluff touching the the machines’ heating elements, which can cause a fire.

The couple have estimated that the damage caused to their property is in excess of £80,000, with a further £45,000 worth of personal property being destroyed.

Jaswinder said: ‘When I woke up, I smelt burning straight away. The hot air and smoke hit me straight away as soon as I opened the door from my bedroom.

‘We rushed downstairs to escape and could see the fire from the dryer had completely engulfed the kitchen. 

‘Our children weren’t home [so] telling all three of my children that the house had burnt down was heartbreaking. 

‘We’ve been left with basically nothing and have been living in the shed in the garden as we try and make the upstairs at least habitable again.’

Jaswinder spent a day in hospital due to smoke inhalation, as he had tried desperately to salvage personal belongings from the wreckage

The couple have estimated that the damage caused to their property is in excess of £80,000, with a further £45,000 worth of personal property being destroyed

The couple have estimated that the damage caused to their property is in excess of £80,000, with a further £45,000 worth of personal property being destroyed

Jaswinder spent a day in hospital due to smoke inhalation, as he had tried desperately to salvage personal belongings from the wreckage

Jaswinder spent a day in hospital due to smoke inhalation, as he had tried desperately to salvage personal belongings from the wreckage.

With an estimated cost of damage at £80,000 and further personal items lost to the fire, the father-of-three estimate that the family are roughly £125,000 in debt.

He added: ‘We tried to seek compensation because it turned out the tumble dryer had caused the fire and it had been part of a faulty batch.

‘But we weren’t happy with what we were offered. The machine was plugged into the wall, switched off and hadn’t been used in days.

‘My middle daughter is getting married next month, and now we’re having to cut on costs.

‘A house we can rebuild but memories and personal belongings can’t be replaced. We lost so many irreplaceable things in the fire that we can’t put a price on.’

Since the fire, Harminder has been re-fitting and repairing the house as best he can with the help of friends and colleagues, but the family will move out as a result. 

Whirlpool have been approached for comment by MailOnline.

Since the fire, Harminder has been re-fitting and repairing the house as best he can with the help of friends and colleagues, but the family will move out as a result

Since the fire, Harminder has been re-fitting and repairing the house as best he can with the help of friends and colleagues, but the family will move out as a result

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk


Comments are closed.