- Annette Farnham inhaled the particles when she cleaned her husband’s overalls
- Husband Leonard, 81, received a six-figure payout after she died suddenly
- Mrs Faram was a stay-at-home mother. She began struggling for breath in 2014
A housewife died of cancer following years of washing her husband’s work clothes which were covered in tiny asbestos particles.
Annette Farnham inhaled the particles when she cleaned his overalls after his factory shifts.
It was only decades later that she was diagnosed with untreatable cancer when she became short of breath.
Annette Farnham inhaled the particles when she cleaned her husband’s overalls and died at 82
Her husband Leonard, 81, received a six-figure payout after she died five months after the shock diagnosis – but feels responsible for what happened.
‘It feels like I’ve become the murderer,’ he said yesterday. Mr Faram, of Rainham, Essex, worked at the London Docks as a lighterman between 1959 and 1969. His job involved moving raw asbestos fibre from ships.
Mrs Faram was a stay-at-home mother at the time. She started struggling for breath in August 2014 and died aged 82 in January 2015 and the compensation was paid in December that year.
Mr Faram has decided to speak about his experience now to raise awareness about the historic risk to women.
‘I have known for many years that I am at risk of developing an asbestos-related condition,’ said Mr Faram. ‘However, I had never considered my work could cause the premature death of my wife.’
Solicitor Lorna Webster was able to secure the compensation from the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills as the successor to the National Dock Labour Board – which had engaged Mr Faram’s employers.