Nurse, 48, ‘drank a bunch of beer’ then drove drunk at 150mph with her young son in the BMW ‘to teach him a lesson’
- Sunita Jairam, 48, was arrested early Sunday after telling police she drove 150mph after drinking beer to teach her son a lesson
- Police said she smelled of alcohol and was slurring her speech
- Her son said that he tried to exit the car several times, but the door was locked
- Jairam was charged with endangering the welfare of a minor and DUI
- Jairam is a RN at a Kentucky hospital according to her LinkedIn profile
Sunita Jairam, 48, was arrested early Sunday on charges including endangering the welfare of a minor and DUI after apparently drunk driving while her son was in the car
A Kentucky woman charged with drunken driving told police she did it ‘to teach her son a lesson’.
Nurse Sunita Jairam, 48, was arrested early Sunday on charges including endangering the welfare of a minor and DUI.
Her arrest citation said she told police she ‘drank a bunch of beer and got in the car to teach her son a lesson’ and drove at 150 mph (241 kph), but it’s unclear what lesson she was trying to impart.
Police said that Jairam smelled of alcohol and slurred her speech and reportedly told investigators that she had been drinking all day, according to WKYT.
The son, whose age has not been made public, told police he tried to get out of the BMW subcompact several times, but the door was locked.
Police said Jairam smelled of alcohol and was slurring her speech. Her booking records revealed that her blood alcohol content was twice the legal limit
Booking records show Jairam’s blood alcohol content was 0.161, twice the legal limit.
Records show she was previously charged with public intoxication and speeding.
It’s unclear whether she has a lawyer.
According to her LinkedIn profile, Jairam is a registered nurse at a hospital in Lexington, Kentucky.