It’s the stylish piercing beloved by celebrities and It girls.
But one young woman’s helix piercing experience quickly turned into the stuff of horror stories after she ended up in hospital and nearly lost her ear last month.
Paris Mann, 21 – who is originally from Sydney but lives in Windsor, UK – had her helix pierced at a beautician’s last month, upon which point she developed a serious ear infection.
Paris Mann (pictured), 21 – who is originally from Sydney but lives in Windsor – had her helix pierced in a beautician last month, upon which point she developed a serious ear infection
Her cartilage got infected – ‘Lymph fluid and blood was dripping from my ear like a tap,’ she said – ‘The ear swelled to more than double its size’
‘Soon after I had my helix pierced, the infection – which is called Perichondritis or infection of the cartilage – took over,’ Ms Mann told Daily Mail Australia.
‘Colleagues of mine quickly witnessed blisters forming and popping in front of their faces.’
Ms Mann recalled how quickly her piercing turned from slightly sore to seeping blood:
‘Lymph fluid and blood was dripping from my ear like a tap,’ she said.
‘The ear swelled to more than double its size and I developed a rash spreading down my neck.’
The 21-year-old (pictured right) was quickly rushed to hospital, upon which point she remained there for three days – she said she nearly lost her ear
The 21-year-old was quickly sent to hospital, where she remained for three days:
‘The doctors at accident and emergency were quite shocked,’ she said.
‘I was told I could have lost my ear in a worst case scenario.’
While the infection did die down, Ms Mann said it returned the following week – upon which point she was given antibiotics (pictured: the infection)
THE GOOD PIERCING GUIDE
* Choose an experienced piercer whose premise is registered with their local council.
* Only sterilised needles, instruments and jewellery should be used.
* The provider must give you detailed information about the procedure and how to care for your piercing before the procedure.
* Care for your body piercing while the site heals. Keep the site clean. Regularly bathe the site with soap and only handle the piercing when necessary.
* If you experience any pain, swelling, inflammation or discharge, seek medical advice immediately.
Source: Better Health Victoria
When Ms Mann was eventually turned away from the hospital, she soon found that the ‘infection got worse and worse’:
‘I thought it had gone, but it resurfaced a week later – and I was given antibiotics. Even now, I’m still not 100 per cent.’
The 21-year-old is sharing her story to encourage others who have the popular helix piercing done to be careful.
Advice from Better Health in Victoria suggests you should choose an experienced piercer whose premise is registered with the local council. You should also make sure only sterilised needles, instruments and jewellery are used.
The site also suggests that the provider must give you detailed information about the procedure and how to care for your piercing before the procedure.
You must also keep the piercing clean and bathe it with soap and water as it is healing.