Woody Harrelson punched man ‘in self-defense’ after he kept taking photos of the actor and his daughter at Washington DC’s infamous Watergate Hotel and refused to delete
- The actor allegedly struck the man while out to dinner with his daughter at the hotel’s rooftop bar, Top of the Gate, Wednesday night
- Harrelson, 60 – who owned up to decades of partying in 2017 – was not charged in the incident, as investigators believe the Cheers star acted ‘in self-defense’
- The man – who police say had been drinking – lunged at Harrelson after the actor approached him and asked he delete photos he’d taken of him and his daughter
- The man then fled from the star, escaping to his hotel room at the Washington hotel – where he was tracked down and apprehended by DC police
- Police say charges are pending for the man, who was questioned in his hotel after the late-night altercation and arrested
Woody Harrelson punched a persistent fan during an incident at the infamous Watergate Hotel in Washington, D.C., Wednesday, when the man took unsolicited photos of the Cheers star and refused to delete them, a D.C. police spokesman says.
The actor allegedly struck the man while out to dinner with his daughter at the hotel’s rooftop bar, Top of the Gate.
Investigators, however, believe Harrelson acted ‘in self-defense.’
Actor Woody Harrelson punched a persistent fan who allegedly lunged at him while out to dinner at a bar at the Watergate Hotel Wednesday night
Harrelson was not charged in the incident, as investigators say the star was acting in ‘self defense’
According to police, the man – who police say had been drinking – lunged at Harrelson after the actor approached him and asked him to delete a slew of photographs he had taken of him and his daughter.
Harrelson ‘approached the man and requested him to delete the photos,’ Dustin Sternbeck, director of communications at the Metropolitan Police Department of the District of Columbia, said in a statement after the incident, which minutes after 11 pm Wednesday night.
The man then attacked Harrelson, who responded by perceptively punching the man before he could land a blow.
A host of patrons at the sophisticated rooftop lounge witnessed the attack, investigators say.
The actor, 60, announced in 2017 that he had given up marijuana after decades of ‘partying too hard,’ and says he only drinks in moderation
The man then fled from the star to his hotel room.
Police say charges are pending for the man, who was questioned in his hotel room after the altercation – but, according to Sternbeck, investigators believe Harrelson acted ‘in self-defense.’
Harrelson, 60, was not charged in the incident – which occurred around 11 pm.
It was not immediately clear who called police after the altercation – but the Metropolitan Police Department say that an investigation is already underway.
Harrelson announced in 2017 that he had given up smoking marijuana after decades of what he called ‘partying too hard,’ but admitted that he still drinks occassionally, ‘in moderation.’
The actor has been in Washington shooting an HBO series on the Nixon administration’s notorious Watergate scandal, and the break-in at the Democratic National Committee headquarters at the famed hotel.