YouTube’s top videos of 2018: Bad lip reading at the Royal Wedding, the ‘Laurel and Yanny’ audio illusion and Sir Paul McCartney’s carpool karaoke
- The video streaming site has released its top ten trending videos of the year
- Sir Paul McCartney’s appearance on Carpool Karaoke has been named number 1
- Notable no-show was Ariana Grande’s highly-anticipated video for ‘thank u, next’
- A ‘bad lip reading’ version of the royal wedding came in second on the list
Sir Paul McCartney’s appearance on Carpool Karaoke has been named the top trending YouTube video of the year in the UK.
The video streaming site has released its top ten viral videos of the year including the ‘royal wedding bad lip reading’ video and ‘Yanny v Laurel’.
A notable no-show was Ariana Grande’s highly-anticipated video for ‘thank u, next’ which didn’t appear to make the cut.
The site created its top-10 list by considering the ways people interacted with its biggest videos including shares, watch time, likes, and comments – before ranking them by views.
THE TOP 10 TRENDING YOUTUBE VIDEOS IN THE UK IN 2018
1. Paul McCartney Carpool Karaoke
2. The Royal Wedding 2018: Prince Harry and Ms. Meghan Markle
3.’Royal Wedding’ — A Bad Lip Reading
4. Courtney Hadwin: 13-Year-Old Golden Buzzer Winning Performance – America’s Got Talent 2018
5. Yanny v Laurel video: which name do you hear?
6. We broke up – David Dobrick
7. Ariana Grande Carpool Karaoke
8. Dogs Tested to See Whether They’d Defend Owner During Home Invasion
9. Marc Spelmann gets the first Golden Buzzer of 2018 | Auditions Week 1 | Britain’s Got Talent 2018
10. Musical Genre Challenge with Ariana Grande
2018’s top trending video saw the former Beatles musician take part in the popular segment on James Corden’s Late Late Show earlier in the year.
Corden took the singer on a tour around his home city Liverpool as they belted out classics like Penny Lane and She Loves You.
The Royal wedding was a fan favourite, which came ahead of the Royal Wedding spoof bad lip reading video, followed by Courtney Hadwin’s Golden Buzzer Winning Performance – America’s Got Talent 2018.
The official streaming of the Royal Wedding of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex in May didn’t make the list.
However, the bad lip reading version by the popular Bad Lip Reading channel in which William and Harry are dubbed talking about animals.
UK teenager Courtney Hadwin’s performance on America’s Got Talent, which earned a golden buzzer from judge Howie Mandel was fourth on the list.
The audio illusion of ‘Yanny v Laurel’, in which some people hear ‘Yanny’ and some people hear ‘Laurel’ came in fifth place.
YouTube couple David Dobrik and Liza Koshy’s video announcement of their split got to sixth on the list, ahead of Ariana Grande’s own appearance on Carpool Karaoke.
Inside Edition’s video testing dogs to see whether they would defend a home from burglars came in eighth.
A viral video from Britain’s Got Talent featuring magician Marc Spelmann’s golden buzzer performance which left viewers stunned and Ant McPartlin in tears.
Ariana Grande entered the list a second time with her competing in the Musical Genre Challenge on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, which comp0leted the top ten list.
YouTube said the channels on the list had more than 79 million subscribers combined.
The video streaming platform, which has over one billion active users, also revealed the most popular music videos in the UK for 2018.
Maroon 5 and Cardi B’s Girls Like You are currently topping the list ahead of God’s Plan by Drake and Ariana Grande’s No Tears Left To Cry.
A spokesperson for YouTube said: ‘From international phenomenons and once in a lifetime countrywide celebrations to thrilling moments from famous faces and YouTube’s biggest names, this year’s list of top trending videos represents the amazing variety of creativity brought to YouTube every single day of the year.’