A family home was destroyed in a fire after a tumble dryer caught alight while a mother-of-two was at work.
Kirsty Jackson, 26, put her washing in the dryer before leaving for work at a nursery but was called back to the house by her boyfriend Simon Hayward who told her flames were spreading through the home.
By the time she returned she could only watch on helplessly as the home she’d lived in for seven years was destroyed along with everything inside.
Ms Jackson, of Croesyceiliog, Cwmbran, South Wales has been told the wrecked property will need to be pulled down.
A picture of the family home in Croesyceiliog, South Wales, which was destroyed in a fire after a tumble dryer caught alight while a mother-of-two was at work
She said: ‘I turned the tumble dryer on and went to work while Simon was sleeping at the house at 7.05am.
‘When he woke up all he could see was flames and he had to put towels down to escape the house.’
‘By 8.04am I’d had a phone call to say my house was gone – there is no way to explain how losing everything makes you feel numb and broken. I just felt numb when I saw it. I could not believe it.
‘The ceilings have collapsed and everything – and I mean everything – inside has been destroyed. There is nothing left. We are not able to go back because it is not safe.’
She added: ‘The flames spread to next door. I am just so relieved that no-one has been hurt.’
Speaking to BBC News she said her children’s Christmas presents and decorations had also been destroyed in the blaze.
Ms Jackson is now claiming on insurance but has had to rely on well-wishers and family for food, clothing and beds to see them through.
The nursery where she works has also called for donations, saying: ‘Kirsty Jackson an amazing member of our team has lost everything within an hour due to a faulty tumble drier.
Kirsty Jackson (pictured), 26, put her washing in the dryer before leaving for work at a nursery but was called back to the house by her boyfriend who told her flames were spreading
Flames burn brightly at the home which was destroyed when a tumble dryer caught fire. The mother-of-two who lives there has been told it will have to be pulled down
‘Due to asbestos exposure she is not allowed to take anything at all from her home.
‘Please if you can donate anything I.e plates, kettles, towels, bedding, rugs, (many things we take for granted around our homes) you may leave them at Little Darlings Nursery!’
A fundraising page has been set up to help the family and has raised more than £1,000.
Kirsty said: ‘We do have insurance but, as you can imagine, it will take ages for it to be processed.
‘We are going to be starting again from scratch.
‘I would like to thank everyone who has donated so far. There are lots of people who I do not know who have done so. Thank you so much.’