5 inmates and 8 deputies at a San Francisco jail hospitalized for narcotic exposure after the guards gave CPR to a dying prisoner
- On Tuesday, a deputy found an inmate unresponsive at San Francisco County Jail No 4 and began performing CPR
- Paramedics arrived on the scene and gave the anti-overdose drug Narcan to the victim and four other inmates, who were all hospitalized
- Eight deputies showed symptoms of overdose and were taken to the hospital
- All the deputies have been discharged as well as at least three of the inmates
- Fentanyl is a synthetic opioid that is 100 times stronger than morphine
Five inmates and eight deputies at a San Francisco County Jail were hospitalized after being exposed to a narcotic.
Authorities believe the overdoses may be linked to fentanyl, the synthetic opioid that is 100 times stronger than morphine.
At 5.33pm on Tuesday, a sheriff’s deputy found one of the inmates unresponsive at County Jail No 4’s Hall of Justice, according to the San Francisco Sheriff’s Department.
The deputy and others began perform chest compressions and called the San Francisco Fire Department.
Paramedics administered the anti-overdose drug Narcan to the victim and four other inmates who showed symptoms of an overdose.
Five deputies who administered CPR were also exposed to the narcotic and were rushed to the hospital. Later, three more deputies showed symptoms and were hospitalized as well.
At 5.33pm on Tuesday, a sheriff’s deputy found an inmate at San Francisco County Jail No 4 (pictured) unresponsive
The inmates were taken to Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital while the deputies were taken to three different area hospitals.
Nancy Hayden Crowley, director of communications for the Sheriff’s Department, told DailyMail.com that all the deputies have since been released as well as at least three of the inmates.
The status of the other two inmates was not immediately clear as of Wednesday afternoon.
The inmates are all male and the deputy who first discovered the unresponsive innate is male as well.
However, the sexes of the other deputies are currently unknown.
Hayden Crowley says an investigation has been opened and that a hazmat clean-up is needed.
‘The area where the [inmate] was discovered, people were moved out because that has to be cleared,’ she said.
‘The Fire Department was in there and indicated that…the contamination didn’t spread so that’s good news.’
Hayden Crowley estimates clean-up will take about a day or two.
Fentanyl was originally developed, and approved, as cancer pain reliever and an anesthetic for surgery.
It often gets mixed into other drugs and is extremely potent. Just 0.25 milligrams can kill somebody.
According to a report released last year from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reveals, fentanyl accounted for a 45 percent increase in drug overdose deaths between 2016 and 2017.